X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinsullivan
    • Nov 2011

Speaker design for built-in cabinets?

Hi, My media and listening center inhabits a built-in set of cabinets that I designed for the purpose and had built some years ago. The construction is single and doubled 3/4 inch plywood, with a heavy hardwood maple top and maple face-frames. I have old cheap commercial speakers in these cabinets today. It's time to upgrade the speakers dramatically. I've got a fine woodshop and can deal with electronics but I know very little about speaker design. Can you suggest one or more speaker design categories (or even specific designs) that would work well given the constraints of my situation: enclosed cabinets of already fixed size. The interior size of the cabinets is 17" wide, 51" high, 26" deep, not counting the face frames. (On the back side, by the way, is a set of dining-room-facing cabinets.) I attach pictures of the speaker cabinets opened and closed. (Sorry for the lousy photos.) The doors are just frames but for light cloth as a visual screen. I would greatly appreciate thoughts on how I might best populate these cabinets with speakers that would provide a world-class level of sound. I am using a nice mid-range "audiophile" pre-amp/amp combination already, so it's really the speakers that are holding me back. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4370_2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	870603

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4371_1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	870604
    Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 17:29 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
  • yzracer14
    • Apr 2011

Only one I can think of ATM
    Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 17:29 Wednesday. Reason: Update htguide url
    Statements' Build

Comment

• Finleyville
      • Sep 2006

I had to do something like this before. I was asked to build a pair to fit into some built-in bookcases with speaker cloth grill doors. I ended up finding a design that closely matched the width of the speaker (do not change that) to the opening. I then adjusted the height and depth of the speaker to match the original designed internal volume of the speaker and made sure it would fit in the bookcase. Worked out pretty good. Plus since it is hidden I didn't have to finish the speakers; I left them raw MDF.

From your picture it looks like you will have many choices. I do not know if depth will be a problem for you or not. Good luck.
      BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"