X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dwisner8
    • Nov 2011

Statements vs Arvo Part MkII

I am interested in how these two speakers will compare. I currently have the statements, statement center, and statements monitors for home theater use. I am looking for yet another winter project and the Arvo Part MkII speakers caught my eye.

I am interested to know if anyone has heard both of these speakers and what your opinions are.
    Thanks,
    DW
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

They're going to have rather different presentation and interaction in a given acoustic space, due to the very different design implementations (dipole versus box, for example). Which might work better for you depends then just as much on how you will set them up. It's easy to get get lots of bass from a box enclosure; it's much more dependent on room setup to get the relatively uncolored bass for which a dipole system like the Orion or the Arvo are capable of with relatively non critical setup, other than being a couple of feet or more from a rear wall.

Maybe it would be helpful to listen to some similar design commercial speakers, though opportunities to hear dipoles are not common. Except that Magneplanars are dipoles, but not using conventional drivers. Gradient has some nice dipole models, but may be hard to find- being an English brand.

Best bet might be to find a DIY event where someone is bringing their Orion kits. Note the Orion is substantially more expensive, but it's pretty much a reference in dynamic dipole designs.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JimS
      • Dec 2005

If you are ever near the DC area please feel free to send me a PM to have a listen.

PS - Jon, might want to check your sig, appears the time machine's on the fritz again . . .

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

On the fritz? It's flat out busted, like most of my personal life. But thanks for reminding me-

I'm taking next week off, hope to catch up on a few things.

I shouldn't complain too much about work; hey, I've got a job, I got a small raise for next year, but more importantly, I'm getting to work on some really cool projects for the next few months.

How cool?

Well, I'm testing a basic Class D amplifier prototype this week, partly to evaluate our newest 200V MOSFETs, and if things look good, will proceed with a second more elaborate (*read: Cool) design.

I'm testing two or three generations of our HV MOSFETs for suitability in LLC-HB resonant converters, and have a 1200W converter on the drawing board suitable for telecom... or audio power amplifiers. I'm looking at two of our existing generations of HV MOSFETs, plus samples of a new generation scheduled to be released the end of 2012. (got them here already... FOM is twice as good as the best existing parts, a very good Coss curve for resonant applications, and ultra low gate charge).

I'm also evaluating some strange and weird ways to use existing controllers in bridgeless PFC for very high efficiency power factor correction front ends (such as for the alleged Telecom/Audio power supply).

Oh, and this weekend I had a little brain fahrt about how to do a wide input range aux supply for server/telecom using an LLC-HB tuned a bit differently than normal, think I can get it to work from 80VDC to 400VDC inputs, reasonably efficient but very small and compact- to power the control, driver, and house keeping circuitry. this could be fun...
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"