X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dwisner8
    • Nov 2011

Statements design modification

This is my first post at the forum, but I've been a lurker for quite some time.
    I have built the Statements, the monitor statements and Frodaddy's statements center, along with a pair of 18" ported subs.

I am in desperate need of a winter project, and would like build new cabinets for my speakers. I was impatient when building them the first time, and did not take as much time as I should.

My question is this: On the large statements, can I move the top woofer down below the bottom woofer to cut off about 10" from the top? I can make the speakers deeper to keep the same internal volume. And if this doesn't sound like a good idea, is there a sealed version of these speakers somewhere? I have plenty of bass with my subs.

My idea is to do horizontal layered plywood for the cabinets with curved sides. I really like this look, but the shorter the cabinets, the better.
    Thanks for any advice!!
    DW-
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

There likely would be an increase in bass due to the proximity of the floor. Boundaries, floors, walls, etc. tend to increase bass. This may throw off the tonal balance of the speaker. People who have car subwoofers that you can hear a mile away may prefer it.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• snmhanson
      • Jun 2010

There is a sealed version of the speaker. Curt's website has a drawing of the sealed cabinet on his Statement page: http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statements.html. There are also several threads that discuss it - just do a search for sealed statement.

The sealed version lops a full 20" off the bottom of the speaker. I think it would be a great fit with the 2RCC since it is sealed as well, and I plan to build the sealed version to replace my Statement Monitors sometime (I also built the 2RCC). I don't think there are any required x-over changes for the sealed version, so I believe your existing crossovers could just be swapped over along with the drivers. Keep in mind that it was reported that the new (not so new anymore) RS drivers allow a 20-25% reduction in cabinet volume, though I think you are fine building it to spec as well. Worst case, you end up with too much volume and you partition off a section or fill the bottom with sand. I guess if you have the old drivers though that's a mute point.

I'd like to see a translam Statement build, so I say go for it!

Matt

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dwisner8
        This is my first post at the forum, but I've been a lurker for quite some time.
        I have built the Statements, the monitor statements and Frodaddy's statements center, along with a pair of 18" ported subs.

I am in desperate need of a winter project, and would like build new cabinets for my speakers. I was impatient when building them the first time, and did not take as much time as I should.

My question is this: On the large statements, can I move the top woofer down below the bottom woofer to cut off about 10" from the top? I can make the speakers deeper to keep the same internal volume. And if this doesn't sound like a good idea, is there a sealed version of these speakers somewhere? I have plenty of bass with my subs.

My idea is to do horizontal layered plywood for the cabinets with curved sides. I really like this look, but the shorter the cabinets, the better.
        Thanks for any advice!!
        DW-
        Moving the top woofer down into a M/T/M/W/W configuration would require crossover modifications. Sorry, that won't happen. Curt has moved on to many other projects.

If you go to Curt's website, there are plans for a sealed version of the Statements. It is 40" tall and retains the same driver configuration, cabinet depth etc. It was designed to mate with subs. The ribbon still needs to be at seated ear height which works out well by sitting the Statements on top of the sub. Other builders have also built stands to achieve the correct height.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Matt beat me to it!

Jim

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"