X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

my 3rd statement build- any new ideas?

so i built the full sized statements in 2008, which to much regret, i sold. then ended up building statement monitors that i still enjoy to this moment. but something is itching in me once more... and i need to build me another pair of statements! :B :B having been around the block once already, i don't think i can settle for anything less than wmtmw config, so full sized statements it is.

has there been any developments of new ideas for the statements? any interesting builds that i should consider?

i thought about making an open back pair where daytons are suspended in boxes of their own and tangbands are simply suspended in open air by pipes and rubber bands, but as this was already addressed before, it would alter the sound balance too much, would it not?

how about angling the baffle in so the woofers concave toward a focal point?
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

I read somewhere that Jim & Curt were working on some new design... never saw any details though.
    -Chuck

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by impala454
      I read somewhere that Jim & Curt were working on some new design... never saw any details though.
      Curt always has something brewing.

The project we discussed is setting in my garage unfinished and all the drivers are in my storeroom. They will not replace my Statements. This project should be quite nice when done but not necessarily better than the Statements. Just different. A classic 3-way with a few twists. :W

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

I think you should build the box just like the Statements, but fitted for a RAAL tweeter and some Acuton mids, maybe some Scan woofers. Ship all the pieces to Curt and let him work his magic. I bet you and Curt could work out a deal.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Coconutout
          • Oct 2006

hehe jim you're killing me here.

but i'm rather firmly set on wmtmw, having become convinced that a healthy vertical dispersion is a key to large as life sound.

though mr.troel's dtqwt has distracted my interest for the moment. the design has some major appeals but i'm not sure if i'll be satisfied with the highs, coming from fountek ribbons...

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

For large as life sound, you should hear these:

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1937.webp
Views:	24
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	944670

I was blown away by the "you are there" with these at DIY Chicago.

I think there is more than one way to get that "you are there". Each has it's pluses and minuses. For something different, other options you might want to think about is PE's promised Anniversary Kit: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ht=Anniversary (should be shipping soon) or try one of Dan N. Omni projects. All of these are designed to produce a BIG, room filling, "you are there" sound.

Just some other ideas. ... And nothing wrong with the Statements. Fine speakers. But I was serious, if your wanting to move up, the RAAL ribbon tweeters I heard at DIY Chicago were special. http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...morphous-core/ Curt will do crossovers if you ship him the parts and he has time.
            Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 16:19 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
            - Ryan

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
              I think you should build the box just like the Statements, but fitted for a RAAL tweeter and some Acuton mids, maybe some Scan woofers. Ship all the pieces to Curt and let him work his magic. I bet you and Curt could work out a deal.
              Hi Ryan,

Sorry, $800 for tweeters isn't in my budget not to mention the cost of Accutons. 8O

It sounds like Pete's project you linked to is really nice. I hope to hear it one of these days.

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                Hi Ryan,

Sorry, $800 for tweeters isn't in my budget not to mention the cost of Accutons. 8O

It sounds like Pete's project you linked to is really nice. I hope to hear it one of these days.

Jim
                $800 tweeters isn't in my budget either. 8O But, if we can get him to buy the tweeters and ship them out there for Curt and Wayne to play with, I would love to see it done.

BTW, the Vapor Audio "Breeze" were the speakers I heard the RAAL tweeters in. http://www.vaporsound.com/#all I think maybe it depended on where you were sitting in the room. Brian who was sitting in the first row, in front of me posted his impressions and they were exactly the same as mine. Others who were wandering around in the back of the room where there was a lot of talking weren't as blown away.

And Pete's mini-byz project - I would like to hear them more. In my limited experience, I've never experienced anything that produced that much realism. I don't think they would be the speakers I would want for my room and the type of music & movies I listen to. I heard others say the woofer wasn't the best. No speaker does everything well. But there was something special about them.
                - Ryan

Comment

• Coconutout
                  • Oct 2006

thanks, K, those are some terrific prospects. but even DTQWT is breaking my budget (it certainly broke my wife's patience when i told her about it!) so i doubt raal tweeters would be on my menu in the near future. haha that PE anniversary kit looks funky, btw.

waveguides are something that peaks my interest at the moment so i will have to find a store to audition one soon enough. i understand they bring a tremendous coherency to the picture but wouldn't i be losing that 'air' of the ribbons in return? to put it more bluntly, what are waveguides good for?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                    $800 tweeters isn't in my budget either. 8O But, if we can get him to buy the tweeters and ship them out there for Curt and Wayne to play with, I would love to see it done.

BTW, the Vapor Audio "Breeze" were the speakers I heard the RAAL tweeters in. http://www.vaporsound.com/#all I think maybe it depended on where you were sitting in the room. Brian who was sitting in the first row, in front of me posted his impressions and they were exactly the same as mine. Others who were wandering around in the back of the room where there was a lot of talking weren't as blown away.

And Pete's mini-byz project - I would like to hear them more. In my limited experience, I've never experienced anything that produced that much realism. I don't think they would be the speakers I would want for my room and the type of music & movies I listen to. I heard others say the woofer wasn't the best. No speaker does everything well. But there was something special about them.
                    Ha! You can't please all the people all the time. I was amazed at the difference in feedback on the forms we used at the events I hosted. It made you wonder if they were talking about the same speakers. Audio is very subjective and people hear things differently as well as like different presentations.

Small 2-ways have always been noted for their imaging capability. Crossover design plays a big part in it too. The problem with 2-ways has always been that that they provide bass duties too. It's the reason I'm a fan of 3-ways.

BTW, after looking at the pictures, I suspect the room had a lot to do with the imaging. Grinnell had such a large stage and seating area, it was very difficult for a speaker to fill it with sound. IMHO, di-poles and open back mid designs struggled in that venue. The last time I had speakers entered I made up my mind to never bring another open back design to a DIY event because of the lack of room interaction.

Jim

Comment

• Coconutout
                      • Oct 2006

just a thought but would it be possible to parallel more woofers or tweeters to make the statements more tube amp friendly? perhaps at least to bring down the continual impedance rise at 1khz that had made my older pair sound bright with a p-p tube amp.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Coconutout
                        just a thought but would it be possible to parallel more woofers or tweeters to make the statements more tube amp friendly? perhaps at least to bring down the continual impedance rise at 1khz that had made my older pair sound bright with a p-p tube amp.
                        Paralleling more woofers would lower impedance and make them less tube amp friendly. It would also require a crossover redesign which isn't a possibility.

Sorry...

Jim

Comment

• Coconutout
                          • Oct 2006

after circling around the web looking for an alternative to the statements, I came to the conclusion... statements it is! there's simply nothing better for the money. (cheers, Jim)

so for this build it'll be run caps for 70 & 100uf, parallel carbon comp resistors for all values(i saw this on a crossover of some high end speaker, can't remember the brand tho), and jantzen supreme throughout.

I don't know about 9.1uf tho. I know there are better caps than solen but at that value? It would have to be a single 9.1uf since I don't like paralleling caps.

Comment

• Coconutout
                            • Oct 2006

I got a question-

Is the resistance value of inductors critical in the full sized statement's crossovers?

i'm thinking of getting jantzen wax inductors this time and unwinding them if the answer's no.
                            or wire these in series-http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=255-656

Comment

• Coconutout
                              • Oct 2006

I just got done ordering the parts for the statements with the regular inductors specified in the BOM. I figured dcr mattered in this crossover as much as it did for the statement monitors. I hope that's the right answer to my previous question....

But my new question is,

How do I calculate the cabinet volume if I'm going to build a curved one? Because I found bunch of cnc shops in my area. :evilgrin:

Comment

• Jonasz
                                • Nov 2004

I think Troels new threeways with the ER18 looks very interesting!

There's also a possibility to upgrade them to the Nextel drivers when funds allow. I have the W18NX in a twoway and I like them a lot, I even prefer them over the mags, I think... 8O :P

Comment

• Jonasz
                                  • Nov 2004

Hehe looks like I was a little late as you've already decided on another pair! :B

Comment

• Coconutout
                                    • Oct 2006

yup, I made up my mind after an audition at a hifi shop. domes sound rolled off compared to ribbons, simple as that.

thanks for the suggestions, though.

Now if i could get a detailed info on dimensions of the curved enclosure...

Comment

• snmhanson
                                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Coconutout
                                      yup, I made up my mind after an audition at a hifi shop. domes sound rolled off compared to ribbons, simple as that.

thanks for the suggestions, though.

Now if i could get a detailed info on dimensions of the curved enclosure...
                                      What info are you looking for? Everyone that has built curved Statements seems to have handle the curves in their own way, so there is no set model or plans for a curved design. I built my Monitors with a 6' OD radius and the same height and depth as well as the same baffle width as the original design. The curve just causes the speakers to taper towards the rear and reduces the volume by about 10-11%. If you went with a radius tighter than 6' if would reduce the volume more than that. It is important to keep the baffle width and overall depth the same, but you can adjust the height a bit if you want. If you want a specific plan drawn up I could whip something up on Autocad for you and come up with some volume calcs. Let me know if you are interested...

Matt

Comment

• Coconutout
                                        • Oct 2006

Hi, Matt!

That would be great if you could help me out with the volume calculation. I would ever be grateful. I'm probably jumping into this prematurely but I don't even know the measurements for curvatures. (OD is a completely unfamiliar abbreviation to me.)

I'd wanna keep the volume around 95l, little less than the original plan which calls for 100l i believe, while keeping the baffle height relatively similar with only 5-10" deviation or so. So I guess that means not too aggressive a curve. Please let me know if that's too much of a request.

Thanks.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"