X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sawdust
    • May 2009

Statements vs DIY Linkwitz Orion

I built and love the full Statements, but curiosity has me wondering how the Linkwitz Orion speakers would compare. I realize we are talking quite a bit more money, but from a purely audio quality perspective, I wonder if the Orion is better or how much better?

I realize the need for more channels of amplification for the Orions as they are tri-amped.

Anyone heard both, or have an opinion? Thanks.
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

I've heard them both, but in different rooms and with different gear, so it's hard to make a direct comparison.

To me the Orion sounds more refined, but lacks dynamics. The room, use(music/HT), and budget will depict which one is best for you.
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Coconutout
      • Oct 2006

i think instead of spending money on orions, you might want to look at upgrading the crossover for the statements. there's more performance to be juiced out of all three drivers by going jantzen supreme or best yet (to my experience), motor run caps. (they'll have to be mounted externally but wow, what a silky silky refinement).
      MUCH more to be juiced out

and you'll still have a lot of money left over because those orions are just darned expensive. not worth it in my book.

sorry i haven't actually listened to them but you might wanna take a look at this, too.
      Having lived and refining my DIY dipoles I'm very happy how they render recording. Obviously the Orions are my dream speakers which I would never afford with such mortgage :vampire:. The dipoles are very untiring and natural to hear albeit their obvious limitations in Bass and transition to dome...

Comment

• Jonasz
        • Nov 2004

musicanddesign.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, musicanddesign.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Look at these too. Not as expensive but probably at least as good as the Orion.

My pair is still under construction. I'm using an Acoustic Elegance IB15 (H-frame) for bass in place of the twin XLS10's in the original. A friend have the Orions and I've had the Phoenix with W22 and XLS12 myself so it's going to be exciting to hear the differencies!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Note.webp
Views:	22
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	944442
        Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 21:42 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sawdust
          I built and love the full Statements, but curiosity has me wondering how the Linkwitz Orion speakers would compare. I realize we are talking quite a bit more money, but from a purely audio quality perspective, I wonder if the Orion is better or how much better?

I realize the need for more channels of amplification for the Orions as they are tri-amped.

Anyone heard both, or have an opinion? Thanks.
          ​This is an apples vs oranges comparison given the significant differences in the designs.

Listening to the Orions at the 2011 RMAF it was IMO one of the better sounding speakers at the show, now that Seigfried finally stepped up and started using better electronics. Pass preamp and power amps were used throughout and they made a world of difference in the SQ of the Orions.

I've not heard the Statements so I can't comment about them...
          Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 21:42 Friday. Reason: Update quote

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I don't know that I would say the Orions are worth it though, as far as DIY goes that's a huge DIY budget. I bet a modded DCX could perform as well crossover wise. The drivers they use certainly don't cost what the Orions cost. I understand the need to make money, just my observations from a DIY perspective.

Comment

• sawdust
              • May 2009

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, the Orions are a chunk of change and I would never build them without hearing them first which might be a challenge given my location. I'm getting the urge to build again, but only if it represents a sonic improvement over what I consider to be a great design.

Jonasz, please give us your impressions of your NaO Design when you are finished. They look great!

Comment

• mkc
                • Aug 2007

Hi Jonaz,

Looks good. I'm also in the process of building a pair of Nao Note. I plan to have them finished by christmas. It has taken a little longer time than planned.

Please share your impressions.

best regards,
                Mogens

Comment

• CraigJ
                  • Feb 2006

Sawdust,

Where in MN are you located? If you're located near the twin cities, I'm sure an Orion owner would be more than happy to allow you to audition their Orion speakers.

Cj

Comment

• sawdust
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by CraigJ
                    Sawdust,

Where in MN are you located? If you're located near the twin cities, I'm sure an Orion owner would be more than happy to allow you to audition their Orion speakers.

Cj

I'm near Rochester, so yes the Twin Cities is near enough. Not sure how to find out who has them and would be willing to give me a demo.

Comment

• Bill Schneider
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by sawdust
                      I'm near Rochester, so yes the Twin Cities is near enough. Not sure how to find out who has them and would be willing to give me a demo.
                      I'd post a query on the Orion Pluto Users Group. There's a thread created for those seeking auditions - "The Official Seeking Orion Auditions Thread". It's probably your best bet for getting an audition.

My audio projects:
                      https://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• Tieftoener
                        • Oct 2011

The Orions are well worth the effort to go listen to them. As has been pointed out, they are very different designs. I prefer the Orion... if I had several $$ thousand to toss around.

I would suggest a hybrid approach - use Statements drivers to make a open baffle/dipole design with an active EQ (dcx2496 or dbx driverack pro come to mind). You could switch to a B&G Neo 3 with the backplate removed for true dipole approach. The RS225's may not be the best - perhaps move to the RSS265 or 10" Titanic MKIII???

Good luck - keep us posted!

Comment

• CraigJ
                          • Feb 2006

Sawdust,

If you ever get to Madison or are passing by, you are more than welcome to hear my dipole speakers. As Thomas mentioned, it's "apples versus oranges", and not everyone hears what they "expect". Could be an education at the least.

Craig

Comment

• JRT
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                            Listening to the Orions at the 2011 RMAF it was IMO one of the better sounding speakers at the show, now that Seigfried finally stepped up and started using better electronics. Pass preamp and power amps were used throughout and they made a world of difference in the SQ of the Orions.
                            Did he demo both? Lots of variables if you are recalling the perceived sound of different setups at two different shows. I know you are not trolling, and my comment here is not intended to fork the thread down the wrong path. Just seems like other differences among setups would dominate.

Comment

• Drew Eckhardt
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW

​This is an apples vs oranges comparison given the significant differences in the designs.

I've not heard the Statements so I can't comment about them...

Siegfried's changes since July 2010 include an approximate 2dB/decade shelving low-pass filter affecting tweeter and upper midrange output levels based on empirical observations (with official explanations of a smoother transition to the tweeter and that the response curves complemented HRTF, although John Krevosky's experiments suggest it's also compensating for the directivity decrease and power response increase when you cross a dipole midrange to back-to-back dome tweeters), refined 5KHz notch on the midrange driver, changed 100 to 200Hz shelving high-pass filter which compensates for low frequency radiation being into half space, woofer to midrange cross-over decrease from 120 to 90 Hz, and new metal cone bass drivers with substantially bigger magnets and presumably better behavior at high excursions.

Those made a big difference.

The room is significant too.

The electronics change isn't that interesting apart from the marketing implications.

Don's W-frame cabinet also doesn't transfer vibrations to resonant floors although that shouldn't be an issue in commercial buildings with concrete.
                              Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 21:44 Friday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"