X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snmhanson
    • Jun 2010

Looking for a goof reference speaker

I was in the process of building a few speakers, but recently broke and had surgery on my right hand (and yes, I am right handed). So, while I am unable to work on my current speakers I thought I would start planning my future projects. One thing I would like to do is put together a reference system to go in the bedroom. Component-wise, I am thinking either a high power solid state amp, or maybe an integrated tube amp with a good CD player and possibly a turn table. What would be some high quality, versatile reference speakers to consider?

I looked at the Tombstones and they looked like an interesting build. Their compatibility with a tube amp is questionable though, so I am not sure on those. They are also getting up there on the cost side of things as well, but not out of the question. What other designs should I take a look at - either on this site or elsewhere? FYI, just to reference what I am used to listening to, my current speakers are Statement Monitors/2RCC which are great in my theater. I am also working on finishing up a pair of Overnight Sensation MTMs and a pair of Paul Carmody Tarkus. My listening tastes run across the board from jazz, blues, rock (classic and current), classical and a little rap from time to time. I would not consider myself an audiophile as I don't notice a lot of the nuances of music that audiophiles seem to pick up on, but I do appreciate a high quality speaker that just puts out great music.

Thanks for any ideas,

Matt
  • Hank
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2002

You should probably determine your amp first. If you have critical listening experience with both SS and tube, and if you prefer the tube "sound", then that will help determine a speaker selection parameter. A tube amp will have low wattage output (unless you have money to burn on a high power tube amp); therefore, look for more effecient (higher sensitivity) speaker designs. Room size/shape/spkr distance from wall/subwoofer or not - details, details. Sorry about your hand.

Comment

• snmhanson
      • Jun 2010

Thanks for the reply Hank. A bit more info: room is ~14'x25' and speakers would be in one of the 14' walls. A large portion of the width of the room does open up a bit to about 17'. There are several windows in the area that the speakers would be, though the corners have a few feet of drywall in each direction, which is probably where the speakers would be located - within a few feet each direction from the corners. Probably not an ideal location for speakers, but it's what I've got to work with. In the end though, this may not be the final room where these speakers end up - it's just where I am thinking I will put them to start so I need to have some flexibility when it comes to a suitable environment for the speaker. Probably no sub, but I don't need shake the pictures off the wall bass since these will be for music only. Finally, concerning the amp, I am not as concerned about getting a specific type of amp as I am about the speakers and will find an amp that will accommodate whatever speakers I end up building. I suppose building efficient speakers would make amp selection easier, but I am no too concerned about that. I am not necessarily leaning towards tubes either. I have actually never even heard a tube amp but thought it would be fun to try one out if possible. I would be perfectly happy with a nice powerful solid state amp though.

I have looked at several other designs and Troels Jazzmans or Zaph ZRT 2.5s have caught my eye. Don't know much about either of them but they use good components and seem to have good execution. Plus, I could get the ZRT kit from Madisound which would simplify things a bit. From what I've read, either of these speaker would compare to commercial speaker in the $5,000-8,000 range. Anyway, that is where I'm at right now. This project is a ways off still. I've got three builds that I'm working on now to finish up, then I need to build a sub, then I may build some new speakers for the R-L in my media room (thinking sealed Statements to replace the Monitors as they would be a great fit with the 2RCC center). However, these speakers are on my must do eventually list.

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

• oneplustwo
        • Jan 2010

FWIW, I've built Zaph's ZDT3.5 and SR-71 as well as Paul's Sunflowers and keep going back to the ZDT. Not sure if it's the magic of the large dome tweeter or the 3.5 configuration in total but I just really love how these sound on all types of music. I do prefer the SR71s a little bit on rock with lots of guitar, probably because of the paper woofer cone. But for anything with vocals, the ZDT is my favorite. I almost built the ZRT instead, but I liked the value of the ZDT and wanted to try a 3.5 configuration. The sunflowers are great too and tend to hold down the bass better but I personally prefer the ZDT's so far.

Hope that helps more than it hurts!
        Zaph SR-71
        Zaph ZDT 3.5
        Sunflower Redux
        12" Dayton HF sub
        CJD RS 150 MT
        Revelator bookshelf
        2x12 Guitar cab
        Corner loaded line array

Comment

• johngalt47
          • Apr 2007

I have Zaph's ZD5s with a sub. I really prefer it to other speakers I have heard. The vocals are impecable in my opinion.

Comment

• Hank
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2002

I haven't built the Zaph's, but his rep is top shelf here and these recommendations should work. Check the build prices to see if they meet your budget. Good that the speakers will be "a few feet" from the side walls. Hopefully, you can pull them out from the wall behind them a couple of feet. Main music preference will play into your decision. I keep forgetting that some like loud rock, so I didn't ask. If this system is going to be in your bedroom very long, please consider some basic acoustic room treatement. Have fun!
            BTW, you used the adjective "reference" and also stated that you want to build the Statements some day. Why not go ahead with them and when they're finished, you could move your Reference Monitors into the bedroom. Just a random thought.

Comment

• snmhanson
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Hank
              I haven't built the Zaph's, but his rep is top shelf here and these recommendations should work. Check the build prices to see if they meet your budget. Good that the speakers will be "a few feet" from the side walls. Hopefully, you can pull them out from the wall behind them a couple of feet. Main music preference will play into your decision. I keep forgetting that some like loud rock, so I didn't ask. If this system is going to be in your bedroom very long, please consider some basic acoustic room treatement. Have fun!
              BTW, you used the adjective "reference" and also stated that you want to build the Statements some day. Why not go ahead with them and when they're finished, you could move your Reference Monitors into the bedroom. Just a random thought.
              Yeah, I am probably going to build some sealed Statements to replace some Statement Monitors that I built about a year ago for our media room. Nothing wrong with the Monitors but I think the sealed version will be a better fit with the center and be able to go a bit louder before distortion sets in. I could put the Monitors in our bedroom, but I also have plenty of other options for them as well. Plus, I really want to build a top shelf design that uses drivers such as Scan Speak and no holds barred crossover components, though I am not sure how much better they can sound compared to my Monitors. Anyway, I really like the looks of the 2.5 ZRT. But I still have plenty of time to consider other designs as well. Oh, I will certainly look into acoustic treatment for our room. Of course it would need to meet the wife's seal of approval though...

Matt

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"