X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dtaylo1066
    • Oct 2011

Anyone use HiVi D5.8?

Wondering how it sounds. Looks like good bass for a small driver, but I wonder how the mids are.
  • BillSchu
    • Nov 2009

I'm pretty sure that's what Mike Zisserson used in his "little reds" speakers. Surprising bass for such a small speaker. Great sense of attack and a smooth clean midrange. Only downside was quite low efficiency once baffle step was added.

Bill

Originally posted by dtaylo1066
    Wondering how it sounds. Looks like good bass for a small driver, but I wonder how the mids are.

Comment

• Undefinition
      • Dec 2006

I can tell you this: I was all set and eager to use this driver in a small 2-way at the beginning of the summer. Then the Neodymium driver prices went completely insane. I mean, the HiVi D5.8 now costs twice what it used to, and that puts it in a completely different price class. Performance expectations are much higher at this price.

It's a shame. I was all set to use a 5" woofer with a giant Dynaudio-style voice coil, and there just aren't many like it right now. Morels seem to be disappearing--or are ridiculously priced because of the Neodymium scare. The only one left that I know of is the Dynavox LW5004PMR--which, at first glance, appears to be a higher-quality driver than the HiVi D5.8
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
      Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"