X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soundtrek
    • Nov 2008

Mini Statement question

What effect would not rounding over the baffle sides have on the BSC and overall sound quality? Would the effect be significant or minimal?

I am asking from an aesthetics perspective because I will need to put grilles on the front and think the round-over would look strange next to a grill.

However, if the effect is detrimental, I will go back to the drawing board and figure out a way to work with the round-over and grille-work.

Thanks!
  • peepaj
    • Jan 2009

If you have mocrosoft excel you can download this Frequency Response Modeler it is free to use.

There is also other free software for speaker modeling.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Well, if you put a grill on with a frame, the frame will have more detrimental effect than anything.

It does have a detrimental effect. Is it big enough to worry about? I don't know. I tend to say no for most people. It definitely won't make them sound like crap. It is an optimization. But, you're going to have the same issue with every speaker that you put a grill on. Nothing you can do about it. So, I guess it is a wash.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• soundtrek
        • Nov 2008

peepaj - I am a Mac user and cannot get any of the Excel sheets to work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

K - i will be taking the grilles off for critical listening, but will need them on for casual listening and when not listening. My system is in my family room and and I have small kids and don't want to take a chance on any of the drivers getting damaged by curious fingers. I know I am over critical of the appearance but I want the speakers to look as professional as possible - grilles on and off.

If anyone would be able to do some modeling with and without the round over I would really appreciate it!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by soundtrek
          peepaj - I am a Mac user and cannot get any of the Excel sheets to work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

K - i will be taking the grilles off for critical listening, but will need them on for casual listening and when not listening. My system is in my family room and and I have small kids and don't want to take a chance on any of the drivers getting damaged by curious fingers. I know I am over critical of the appearance but I want the speakers to look as professional as possible - grilles on and off.

If anyone would be able to do some modeling with and without the round over I would really appreciate it!
          Soundtrek,

Ryan is exactly correct. The grills and more importantly, the room is of much greater concern than what small effect round overs vs no round overs have on the sound. You'll never hear the difference between a square edge and a round over. You will hear the difference between grills vs no grills if you critically listen.

FWIW, I had round overs and grills on the original pair of Mini's.

Jim
          Attached Files

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

The Statement's tweeter is centered, so it is not optimizing the edge diffraction as much as it could be. Based on that, I would say you're already screwed and what is a few more rippled in the frequency response going to hurt. :P

I jest of course. If you would like to see the modeled effect of the roudover, there is an example in the Khanspire thread, first post, FAQ#2: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=26309 (I find reading all the mission accomplished threads very informative. Jon Marsh's threads taught me how a crossover should be put together even though I've never built any of his speakers.) It won't be exactly the same for the Statements, but it demonstrates the order of magnitude difference.

Jim says you'll never here the difference between square edge and round edge. I've heard this reported by other very respected designers. I've also heard others say that it helps and the models show this. I think it is probably audible under the right conditions, but should be one of the last things people worry about.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"