X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajk11235
    • Dec 2007

New sub options

Hello All,

I posted this over on AVSfourm but I thought I might as well post this here as well

I have been thinking of building a new HT sub for my living room. Currently I have a 240 Watt plate amp from an old sub that I would really like to reuse.

My needs/wants are

-I am living in a student apartment so high SPL is not a primary concern. But I would like it to hit the super low notes found on many movie soundtracks
    -It will be used for 90% movies and 10% music.
    -Space is relatively large - the whole first floor is open
    -I am working on a student budget so under $200 for the driver and materials would be great but if more is needed I will sell some body parts or something.

Right now it seems like a SonoSub might be my best bet. Am I over looking anything?

Thanks in advanced,
  • engr_dave
    • Dec 2005

How large a box (or tube) can you live with? Remember Hoffman's Iron law: loud, low, small... pick any two.

What plate amp is it? If it is from a commercial sub, it may have un-adjustable EQ.

Do you have access to basic woodworking tools? I'm not a big fan of sonosubs, but that's just me. They do limit your choice of drivers to those that are suitable for horizontal mounting.

The Parts Express RSS315HF ported in 3-4 cubic feet works very well.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

I'm running an RSS265HO in a box 1" square by 30" tall, ported to about 22Hz (3" PVC) with the 240W. It thumps.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"