X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ModMark
    • Sep 2011

Why not, an 8 ohm Nat p

or any MTM design using the Dayton RS180. They do make a 4 ohm version, connect 2 in series...

Now the first answer of course, why build a high end set of speaker and drive them with my Sony STR-DE597? For myself, budget issues creating a one of the above decision, either new speakers or a new receiver. And if I am careful, my entry level Sony may drive a 4 ohm load. But the DIY bug is driving my hard right now, I really want to build some speakers...

I am an EE but the last time I solved a RLC circuit, Luke was wondering if his health insurance would cover the cost of a new hand after his Dad chopped it off.

Would a genuine Evil Twin Nat P crossover work with 2 Dayton Audio RS180-4 in series?
  • engr_dave
    • Dec 2005

Nat P crossover work with 2 Dayton Audio RS180-4 in series?
    Short answer = no, it will not work.

At least not without significant changes to the crossover. Even if the driver T/S params were otherwise identical, impedance and sensitivity changes affect crossover design. Not saying that it couldn't be done... but it would be a new crossover.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Plus the tweeter is 4ohm so... yeah. Not that it is the harder to drive range but...
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• fbov
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by ModMark
        or any MTM design using the Dayton RS180. ...
        And if I am careful, my entry level Sony may drive a 4 ohm load. ...
        This is a bit of a tempest in a tea cup.
        This article explores the purpose and function of the impedance switch found on some A/V receivers. Tradeoffs of following manufacturers recommended settings are also discussed. YouTube video inside.

You may or may not have a switch, this article will tell you what it does, and why there is no issue with 4 ohm speakers under all but the most special of circumstances.

I ran my NatP's on an old Pioneer AVR, the only multichannel decoding it has is ProLogic I. Rated for 6ohm and higher. Never had an issue. Replaced with an Onkyo 707 which does have the switch. It's not at 4 ohms for reasons explained in the link.

It's your decision, but a fairly safe one. Redesigning to use RS180-4's? Cheaper to get a Tritrix, it's MM are already in series

HAve fun,
        Frank

Comment

• ModMark
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by fbov
          Never had an issue. Replaced with an Onkyo 707 which does have the switch. It's not at 4 ohms for reasons explained in the link.

Frank
          A wise move, my receiver does not have this switch nor would I use it.

Thanks for the link, it was a interesting read. The article claims these 4 ohm switches reduces the voltage to limit the watts being delivered. This is far better than the reports of entry level receivers adding a 4 ohm resistors in series with the speakers when you flick the switch.

But watts are watts , careful use of the volume control and my entry level receiver may be producing the same amount of current with a 8 or 4 ohm load.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"