X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • engr_dave
    • Dec 2005

A Karma Indignia build

The "Karma Indignia" featured on PE's project gallery seemed like an interesting little 2-way so I built a pair last week. Pretty impressive bass for a low-cost woofer in 0.38cuft. Nice imaging as well, even though they seem to have a touch of midrange coloration that keeps them from truly "disappearing" like higher-end designs. This could be my fault, though. I used large square-ish PE "buyout" terminal cups right behind the woofer with little or no damping material in this area. I plan to pull the woofers out and experiment with better damping. Overall a solid design, especially for $150 total... I'm surprised there is not a single reference to them on this forum.
    Attached Files
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Those look like they turned out nicely. :thumb: I'm glad you're enjoying them. I hadn't seen the design before, so thanks for sharing.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• engr_dave
      • Dec 2005

I did some nearfield listening last night with the speakers up against the wall on a computer desk. Bass became quite thick and tubby. The desk is in a corner, and in an alcove adjacent to a closet - so lots of nearby boundary surfaces. Definitely would want to seal the port for this application.

Otherwise the sound was quite nice. I couldn't perceive any integration problems, even at about 3'. Good imaging, smooth and airy highs - although my test gear helped in this regard: Sony 9000ES SACD, custom passive pre, and Parasound HCA-750A. I doubt most people would be driving $150 speakers with $2K+ electronics.

It was amusing to note how nasty the resonance modes were in this [approx 13' square] room. In the center of the room there was almost no bass. In the opposite corner from the desk/speakers, the bass was overwhelming - utterly shocking that all of this bass was coming from a pair of 7" woofers!

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Well, any speaker is going to have problems in that type of positioning. I'm guessing you know that. Those drivers, from what I understand, are pretty flexible and easy to work with. It isn't surprising that it sounds good.

If you ever want to try something different, Shawn over at the PE TechTalk did a design using these drivers a long time ago called the Silver Al. Several people built it. He even revised the crossover to the "Ultimate Edition". Not sure how much a difference you'll hear in the two, but could be a fun experiment.

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

- Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• engr_dave
          • Dec 2005

Thanks K. I've decided that 0.38 cu ft is too big for a "computer speaker"; I think I'll build some stands for these and use them in the master bedroom. Those TV speakers (42" Philips plasma) absolutely suck.

I have RS180S-8's and RS28A's so I'm building a pair of pseudo-in-wall Modula MT's with Jon's "no BSC" crossover. 0.25 cu ft sealed looks nice and flat to 85 Hz - enough for subwoofer integration. :T

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"