Comment

• alteredbeast77
      • Dec 2010

and the driver
      Attached Files

Comment

• Txgrizzly
        • Jun 2009

wow, nice bracing and i like the way you designed the ports... what driver is that and what did you tune the box to? those are some long ports...

Comment

• alteredbeast77
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Txgrizzly
          wow, nice bracing and i like the way you designed the ports... what driver is that and what did you tune the box to? those are some long ports...
          thanks Tx, the driver is a alpine 1542 type R 15", the tune is supposed to be 20hz but i'm pretty sure it turned out to be lower

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Awesome enclosure!

Comment

• alteredbeast77
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
              Awesome enclosure!
              thanks Hdale85 i still have a lot of work to do before it's finished

Comment

• evilskillit
                • Oct 2008

Lookin nice. Can't wait to see the finished result.

Comment

• dsrviola
                  • Oct 2007

fantastic project!

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                    • Dec 2009

Wow, that's a lot of bracing. I don't know how big that box is but it'll be so dead :-).

Comment

• alteredbeast77
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by bbcmp1979
                      Wow, that's a lot of bracing. I don't know how big that box is but it'll be so dead :-).
                      evilskillit,dsrviola,thank you

bbcmp1979,yes it is completely dead and that was my #1 design goal,it will be a glass top tv stand when it is finished,

the enclosure
                      all material is 1.5" thick mdf
                      48"w
                      24"d
                      18"h
                      gross volume 8.2
                      net volume 5.0
                      2 ports 1.5"w x 15"h x50"L
                      tune 20.?? but i think it's lower and that's fine because it sounds awesome,only problem is that even at 300+lb the enclosure moves or wiggles back and forth during loud passages,so i thank i'm going to bolt it through the floor 8O

Comment

• engr_dave
                        • Dec 2005

That is indeed a beast, Alteredbeast! Nicely done. I have always wanted to try slot ports. Amazing that your 300lb beast still wants to "walk". To solve this problem with my 15" RSS390HO sealed Daytons, I used 2 drivers at opposing ends to cancel forces. There is no movement whatsoever. I could [should] have used Baltic Birch ply, but went with 1" MDF with 2" baffles anyway. They are about 200lb each (I built two). What are you driving yours with? I chose Crown K2 (2.4kW and no fan!). Works like a champ.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• alteredbeast77
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by engr_dave
                          That is indeed a beast, Alteredbeast! Nicely done. I have always wanted to try slot ports. Amazing that your 300lb beast still wants to "walk". To solve this problem with my 15" RSS390HO sealed Daytons, I used 2 drivers at opposing ends to cancel forces. There is no movement whatsoever. I could [should] have used Baltic Birch ply, but went with 1" MDF with 2" baffles anyway. They are about 200lb each (I built two). What are you driving yours with? I chose Crown K2 (2.4kW and no fan!). Works like a champ.

engr_dave i currently have 1 voice coil (4 ohm) running on a 400w infinity plate amp and that is more than sufficient judging by the output, it moves things in adjacent rooms

i had a EPX2000 with a cleanbox pro but it was cutting out everything below 30hz or so, i tried a couple of different things but was never happy with the sound, so i sent it back, so my new plan is a dayton sa1000w rack mount, running both coils (8 ohm) at 500w, at least that's what it is rated at.

i like the finish on your subs, is it automotive paint ? i have not yet decided how to finish mine, and i still need to figure out what to use on the front of the enclosure to make the sub flush

Comment

• engr_dave
                            • Dec 2005

is it automotive paint ?
                            Yep. Dupont Lucite "diamond black" acrylic lacquer.

I first sprayed a few coats of high-solids lacquer primer-surfacer on the raw MDF (you can see the grayish overspray on the interior). I let it dry (and shrink) thoroughly (like a week or more) and sanded smooth with 320 - then shot three medium coats of black and waited another week. No clearcoat... just color-sanded the black with 600-1200-2000 and finished with polishing compound.

cutting out everything below 30hz or so
                            There should be lots of good prosound amps that have flat response below 10 Hz. Most amps won't bridge into 2 ohms, but you can simply drive each coil with one channel of a stereo amp.

need to figure out what to use on the front of the enclosure to make the sub flush
                            With 1-1/2" baffle, you probably have enough meat to recess the driver, at least some...

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"