X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spartan711
    • Sep 2011

Zaph ZA5.2 TM DIY Kit

Hi Everyone,

Been interested in DIY speakers for a long time, but this is my first post. Me and my roommates want some speakers for music/movies in our new apartment, and I thought "Finally! Maybe I can indoctrine them into DIY speakers..." :-D

Here's what I'm debating. Budget for ENTIRE audio setup is <1K. For the sub, we will probably build a sonotube.

TriTrix MTM TL full Kit from PartsExpress
    ZA5.2 Ported full DIY Kit from Madisound
    HSU HB-1 MK2

I'm leaning away from the TriTrix because I feel as though the ZA5.2 will be an easier build, and the HB-1 has a small horizontal off-axis response.

I have looked all over, but I do not find anyone who has reviewed the pre-fab enclosure from Madisound. Can anyone give any comments on this?

Btw, me and my roomates are on a hip-hop team, so music played will be primarily that. That said, we do actually buy the CD's, so expect V0 or even flac for source files. Floor plan is attached, and this is for the main center area. Dimensions are ballparked around 10 x 35 ft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	870571
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 17:47 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

The prefab boxes from Madisound are solid.

I would imagine that the ZA5.2, because it has newer/better drivers would be the better value. But, once you say that you listen to HipHop, I'm not sure the bass in a standard kit would satisfy you. Maybe with the sub turned up a little hot it would be fine.

Is having prefab enclosures a must? Are you looking to have the baffles cut from the kit too? These can also be made using PE enclosure. And, with the surface mounted woofers and tweeters, they can be built with just a jig saw and drill. Similar price to the original TriTrix, but they have a much higher quality midwoofer.

But, also consider these from Curt, the

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0180-453x719.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	948308

You would have to build the boxes, but that is easy. But these might be more your style. The more I think about it the more I would likely push you towards these.

Subs get expensive real fast for a quality one. Just something to consider.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 17:49 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• spartan711
      • Sep 2011

Thanks for the reply --k--. Quick question, which speakers are you likely pushing me towards, the first set or the second, huge set?

edit: figured it out... too early on a Sunday.

We kind of wanted to avoid the complete DIY style, as the year has already started and each week without speakers in our apartment isn't fun. We would take pre-fab because it's much faster for us.

Also, I see sonotube subs as being not too difficult to DIY, as we don't have to fab anything ourselves. And according to post #2, the design was given by Dr. Hsu and is less than $250.
      Hey guys! I have to complete a culmiating project in order to graudate, and I chose to build a sonotube subwoofer at the recomendation of my (not very helpful) teacher. I don't know much about speakers or building them, so I'm kind of in the dark. My budget is a strict $200-$250 pushing it...

$350 for the ZA's and $250 for the sub, leaves $300 for the receiver. Which leads to another question - is that all I need? 2.0 speakers, a sub, and a HT receiver to provide a signal/power?
      Last edited by spartan711; 25 September 2011, 13:16 Sunday. Reason: forgot some stuff

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Understood. No shame in pre-fab. There is a reason JonMarsh designed several speakers to use the PE enclosures. CJD and I also designed the ones I liked to use the PE boxes to open the doors for more people.

Zaph makes great speakers. But, they are designed to be crystal clear and detailed. Not boomy, punchy, or over-exaggerated bass. And a little TM isn't going to be able to produce rock concert levels.

I don't like to pimp my own speakers designs, but they may fit your needs better, because they have twice the number of mids for more volume and I think they might have better bass. I don't really know for sure. But up to you.

Also, that link for the subwoofer is like 3 years old. Not sure if it is still valid. I would push you towards a Dayton RS 15" driver. You need to add to that a amp. The bigger the better. And then wood, glue, wire, terminals, ect. all start to add up quickly.

And yes, front two speakers, a sub, and a receiver is all you need to get started. Eventually you can add surrounds and a center channel.

The link to the sub is like 3 years old.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"