X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dfg
    • Nov 2009

5.1 system for a smaller living area

We are buying a new place with a small living room, dining and kitchen. About 600' total. Speakers need to be a small footprint and can be fairly close to the walls, probably a two way bookshelf. A sub will be used. Music is also a factor for me. Mark K's ER18DXT looks interesting. But is that overkill for 5.1? Cost isn't a big factor, well not too much.

I built the Tritrix recently for my office and was pretty happy with the process.

Suggestions???

Thanks,

Greg
  • Wheels
    • Oct 2008

I would build these if you wanted a small speaker. Curt has an on wall xover design you can use

But nothing is overkill for a 5.1 system... ever

Comment

• dfg
      • Nov 2009

I thought those required space from the walls?

Comment

• KnightsOfNi
        • Feb 2010

For 5.1 how about
        Swope HT
        Regards
        Knights

Comment

• Silver1omo
          • Sep 2010

The statement monitor needs 12-18" between the back and the wall.
          Ivan.
          My Statement monitors

Comment

• mischmat
            • Feb 2010

There's always this.

Comment

• dfg
              • Nov 2009

I've looked at the mentioned options, but wonder how music will be. Though I am doing a 5.1, music is still a priority. Excluding regular tv, music is probably 75% or more of usage.

Comment

• dfg
                • Nov 2009

Zaph's ZA5 series?

Comment

• Undefinition
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by dfg
                  I've looked at the mentioned options, but wonder how music will be. Though I am doing a 5.1, music is still a priority. Excluding regular tv, music is probably 75% or more of usage.
                  I don't know about most designers, but when I do a speaker, I voice it with music. That's what I use speakers for. I only check it for movies near the end, just to make sure nothing's wrong--which occasionally has happened.

Anyway, I think it's safe to bet that if a speaker can do music well, it'll do movies well. I only call it the Swope HT because it was built as one. I designed the MTM and TM individually, and they were voiced with music. The center I actually did voice specifically for speech, though.
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                  Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• dfg
                    • Nov 2009

That looks like an interesting project too. I like how you addressed the speech issues specifically for the center. I'm not an expert, so that may be the case for others I'm looking at.

I have an Axiom 80 system with the VP-150 center, and that is definitely the weak link for HT in that system.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"