X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobertT
    • Sep 2011

A Kahnspires question

I have been reading most of the threads on the Kahns. I was considering building a pair . Will I have a problem running these with a regular home receiver , I don't have any fancy amps or equipment just a 2 channel in one room and a 7.1 HT in another room both Sony 100 W per channel .

I am looking at building the ported pair . I was going to do the Statements but the spacing to the rear walls are too close .

Thanks ....
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

They are a slightly difficult load to drive. I can't really make guarantee that it will work on hardware that say's it's designed for 8 ohm only.

That said, I did have mine hooked up briefly to a $500 Pioneer 1015TX receiver and they worked under normal 2-channel usage without overheating or going into protection mode. Sound quality was mostly subtle differences that my wife couldn't hear. I would anticipate that most solidly built receivers would be able to handle them in 2-channel mode. Running a full surround sound setup is probably where things get more difficult since a lot of less expensive gear skimps on the surround channels.

The definition of "solidly built" is also difficult.

I don't know a lot about sony gear. My memory is very old and it is mostly negative. I don't know. You can always try it. If it doesn't work, consider upgrading your receiver.

Many of the mid to upper level Onkyo receivers, I believe, are rated at 4 ohm.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• RobertT
      • Sep 2011

Thanks , I looked at my receiver user guide , they only state specs. for 8 Ohm loads .
      Well , I guess I will try it on the 2 channel system first , and see how that works .

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

What model is it? If it is a Sony ES line, you're probably good. If you paid over $500 the odds of it working are probably better than not. If it a $200 receiver, it would surprise me if it didn't go into protection mode driving all five channels, but I've been surprised before. That's only gut feelings based reading a few posts hear and there over 5+ years of people having issues with receivers.

Please report back what you find after your build is complete. I would love to know the answer because this comes up frequently and I really don't know.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"