X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ortheum
    • Aug 2009

Menards now carries Baltic Birch & Araucoply

Just stopped by Menards to pick up a few things and strolled through the plywood isle. I was pleased to see that they now carry 4x8 sheets of Araucoply & Baltic Birch. I've always used MDF, so I'm not sure if the prices are good, but it is nice to have the option that is easy to find.

Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 13:55 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • Ntruder
    • Jan 2010

Which Menards do you go to? The Janesville store and Madison stores that I go to have had BB for a while. I buy their Maple sheets occasionally for cabinetry, $50 a sheet with a real nice veneer.

Comment

• Ortheum
      • Aug 2009

I saw them at the Racine store, first time I've seem them here. Guess I'm late at getting the memo.

Yeah, the maple is pretty nice. I used if for my 13" door jamb between my theater and the connecting room, also the columns in my theater.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

I've bought BB ply from Menards for several years. At one time it was $54
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Ortheum
          • Aug 2009

The two stores by me must be behind the times. They had 1/2" for $54.

Sorry for the thread, I thought I had a good find. ops:

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

No worries.

It amazes me how much stores in the same chain vary. On the BBQ forums, everyone raves about how great Costco are for BBQ meats, but around me Costco doesn't carry anything. Drives me crazy.

So, celebrate your new find. :thumb:
            - Ryan

Comment

• Ortheum
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ---k---
              No worries.

It amazes me how much stores in the same chain vary. On the BBQ forums, everyone raves about how great Costco are for BBQ meats, but around me Costco doesn't carry anything. Drives me crazy.

So, celebrate your new find. :thumb:

I'm just north of the border in WI and we don't even have Costcos up here. Sam's Club has some decent meat. That's where I buy my pork shoulder.

Comment

• JonP
                • Apr 2006

Going with the "where's the Beef" question for the BB.... :W It might be good to include a pic of the edge of the board, as well as the product sticker, so we could see what we're talking about....

There's quite the controversy/range of definition of what's "Baltic Birch" in the various stores... a pic would settle that quickly.

Though, 13ply for 3/4" is about right for the "real stuff". But, $50-60 a sheet was also the premium price for the premium stuff, about 3-6 mo back....

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Menards (the one by me at least) carries the good 13 ply stuff. That is what I've always got from them.
                  - Ryan

Comment

• Bear
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008

Baltic Birch can vary a lot in price depending upon location and how they buy it. A retailer who has to go through a few layers of distribution is going to have a different price than a lumber shop predominantly catering to high-volume cabinet builders.

I'd be a little worried about the quality grade. The Russian/European stuff generally comes over here in either B/BB or BB/BB grade (BB = higher grade, often usable with just stain and a top coat). However, since my CNC project slowed to a crawl with triple digit temps, I haven't been shopped it recently.
                    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• dlneubec
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

I've used the baltic birch from Menard's in the past. I would not try to apply finish directly to it without adding veneer first. It was just not good enough quality, in my book. Still a good deal, but I'd plan on using veneer with it, unless it has changed significantly.
                      Dan N.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"