X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snmhanson
    • Jun 2010

Idea for a kid's speaker building workshop

My ten year old son want to build some speakers and seems to have his heart set on some Lineups. I figure I will take on a new project at the same time, but I also was thinking that a couple of his friends may want to participate. So, I am thinking I will have a "kid's speaker camp". After going over their chosen designs with each of them would pre-cut and route all of the panels for them and then help them assemble their boxes. We would also work on the crossovers and final assembly together and I would let them use their creativity in terms of finishes. Finally, we would have a blowout listening party which I am sure would turn into a competition in terms of who's speaker sounds better, looks better and most importantly, whose speaker is the loudest.

So, I am looking for suggestions for some possible speakers that are easy to build, utilize a simple crossover, are fairly compact and are inexpensive (since I may end up subsidizing some of the cost). Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt
  • fbov
    • Jun 2008

and if you want to pass on the pre-cutting...

Unfortunately, quality comes at a price, but at $85/pair, this is a really good deal. Make the MTMs for yourself, so the kids know who's boss....

Have fun,
    Frank

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

These turned out nicely. When I built them, they are $54 /ea for the TM and $73/ ea for the MTM. And easy crossover to tweak to your liking.

These use the same mid-woofers as Curt's AviaTrix and the same tweeter as in Curt's most recent project. Good stuff.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jheizer
        • Jul 2010

Not sure how much $ you are talking about putting into it but if you are looking for something on the uber cheap end http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224424

Comment

• snmhanson
          • Jun 2010

Thanks for the ideas guys. Both the Overnights and Sieteceroceros would be great builds for what I am thinking. The Minions may actually be a bit too simple, as they don't even have a crossover. Ya never know though, maybe that's where I will need to go depending on the interest and funds involved.

Thanks again!

Matt

Comment

• Undefinition
            • Dec 2006

I do have an interesting array of 4" woofers and small tweeters, and an empty "speedster" cabinet. If there's a combo you'd like to see, I can build a baffle, measure, and voice a crossover for it. I'm a bit busy lately, but the fact that this is for "educational purposes" makes me want to help out if I can.

stuff I have on-hand (all really good):
            Dayton ND105-4
            Dayton RS125-8
            Dayton RS125-4
            Dayton DA115
            HiVi B4N

Dayton ND20FA
            Dayton ND20FB
            Dayton ND28F
            HiVi T20
            Vifa XT25SC90

I have others besides those, but not necessarily as "budget-friendly."
            Last edited by Undefinition; 03 September 2011, 12:08 Saturday.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
            Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"