X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flamethrower1
    • May 2008

subwoofer build

I want to build a subwoofer for my bed room, I am thinking 10 inch max.
    Mostly for music as I dont have a TV in the room yet.
    I currently have two TriTrix transmission line and two Bose 201 (please dont rip me up too bad, I am going to replace them with.... something).
    Anyway, just wondering what would be the best "bang for the buck".
  • baniels
    • Nov 2006

How big is the room and what is your budget - does that need to include power?
    L&R Build
    Sub Build

Comment

• engr_dave
      • Dec 2005

I'm building a 2.1 bedroom/computer system for my son. The sub I'm planning is the 10" Dayton RSS265HF vented in 1.85 cu ft, tuned to low twenties. Nice flat response to F3 of 23 Hz. Stays within xmax anywhere above Fb at 350w. I'm using a 3" flared port - 18" with a single elbow.

I picked up a 300w BASH amp from PE before the sale ended yesterday. Should be a great little bedroom sub.

Comment

• flamethrower1
        • May 2008

My bedroom is 20 x 16 feet, I planning on useing a plate amp.

Comment

• flamethrower1
          • May 2008

RSS265HF-4 10" would this be a good start?

Comment

• brent_s
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by flamethrower1
            RSS265HF-4 10" would this be a good start?
            You haven't answered the budget or size question.

If I were you, I'd be looking hard at either the DVC15 or RS315HFA-8...both are on sale for $129 through 11/2. Pair with either the BASH300 ($114 today) or the SA240 ($98 thru 11/2).

Sealed, figure 3 ft^3 net internal, stuff liberally (the 315HFA-8 likes a bigger box than the 315HF-4). The 12" 315HFA-8 is actually flatter and has a lower f3 than the DVC15 in this alignment, but the DVC15 will play significantly louder. Personally, based on having a 315HO in my living room system, I would think the 315HFA-8 would still have way more than enough output for a bedroom system.

You can also go ported with the 315HFA-8 in 3 ft^3; tune to 18-20Hz. F3 drops to 25Hz from about 35Hz in the sealed alignment. Considerably more potential output as well (+4dB @ 30Hz, +8@20Hz).

-Brent

Comment

• flamethrower1
              • May 2008

If I could build one for $250.00, I would be happy.
              I would like to keep it on the smaller side though as I do not have alot of room for a big sub.
              Floor space, no more than 1 ft x 1ft

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

I'm nearly through building a RS265HO based sub, 1x1 footprint, ~32" tall once feet and such are in place, expect tuning ~22Hz or so. Pairing it with some pretty small (for me) satellites - 5x8" face, 4.5" or so deep. And something a little different than we've seen for the box on those, but that'll have to keep till I write it up.
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• engr_dave
                  • Dec 2005

I'm nearly through building a RS265HO based sub
                  Curious why you chose HO over HF with such a big box. More power handling/output?

HF models nicely in 2 cuft: F3 = 22Hz :T

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"