X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbcmp1979
    • Dec 2009

Finalized my 3way design

So i've been playing with this design for quite some time and it's probably as flat as i can get it to. I"m upcycling the RS180s-8 and RS28f from the Natalie P build for this. Instead of using the Dayton rs drivers for the mids (rs150, rs125, rs100, etc...), I've opted to use the peerless buyout from partsexpress instead, and I could definitely use all peerless drivers but wanted to keep the rs180s-8.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3waywlpbscrs180peerless831735rs28fLPandoffsetV2.webp
Views:	23
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	944015

Name:	3waywlpbscrs180peerless831735rs28fMidsandHighsV2.webp
Views:	24
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	944016

Name:	SumresponsewithLPbsc4V2.gif
Views:	6
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	944017

Name:	SumresponsewithLPbsc2V2.gif
Views:	7
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	944018

and I've ordered the xover parts from erseaudio

Name:	BOMV2.webp
Views:	23
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	944019

Cabinets dimensions is 49" x 9" x 18.5", MTM section is sealed w/ .75 ft^3, and the ported section is ~ 3ft^3.

Name:	QuadRS180enclosure.webp
Views:	24
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	944020

Now I just need to come up with a name for it...and pick up some mdf ...
    Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 23:35 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

Wow nice project. What measurements did you use for your filter simulations?

Comment

• bbcmp1979
      • Dec 2009

They are all manufacturer specs measurement.
      I used SPLcopy for SPL and ZMA data, then ResponseModeler to generate an inbox and BSC before importing the data to PCD for the simulation.

Comment

• bbcmp1979
        • Dec 2009

Impedance dipped down to 3.4 ohms at the lowest point for the tweet. Which any good 4ohms amp should be able to handle.

Name:	SumZMAwitLPbscV2.gif
Views:	7
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	944021
        Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 23:35 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Where'd you get those z-axis numbers? They don't look right - which, assuming you've extracted and are using minimum phase for modeling, means you won't get nearly the phase alignment you think you have.

If you didn't do minimum phase, it's even less likely things will line up as expected.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• bbcmp1979
            • Dec 2009

CJD,
            Good catch, I completely forgot the zoffset and kept them at .025 for the longest time.

The original design was for a quad of rs180s from Pete over in partsexpress. He was kind enough to send me the sim offset mostly for the rs180s which were about .025. After many rev from 2.5way to a 3way, the z-offset for the rs180 remained on my sim. I also looked at the peerless 3way design from Pete which also used the same z-offset.

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

However, the peerless 831735 is about .5" shorter then the rs180, I could measure both the rs180 zoffset to get more accurate sim. I did a quick offset sim from .015 to .025 for the peerless and phase came in much better. There weren't much changes to the sum response , but phase wrapping is better with C10 ranging from 24uf - 30uf.

As for phase, i used the RM3 to exptract minimum phase in a simulated box. Not sure how accurate that maybe until i get a measuring gig.

For now, it look like i might build it as is. If they sound right then I probably needs lot of help.
            Last edited by bbcmp1979; 07 September 2011, 16:36 Wednesday.

Comment

• bbcmp1979
              • Dec 2009

I also looked through the Best Z-offset est http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...light=z-offset and it looked like I should be in the ball park keeping them @ -.025. I will dropped the C10 down to 30uf though.

Comment

• David G
                • Jan 2005

Your bracing could be better.
                I'd use full shelf cross-braces, i.e. pieces with 4 circular holes cut in them.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"