Don't want removable baffles, what are my options?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sorue
    • Jul 2011

Don't want removable baffles, what are my options?

So i built another cabinet for the zaph zrt 2 way speaker project i'm doing. The first cabinet was a sealed 20L design and even though the transient response was really good, the bass was articulate and clean, the output dropped too much <100Hz for my liking.. so i decided to build the ported floorstander 38L cabinet.

Like the first cabinet, i prefer not to go with removable baffles, namely because it is just complicated and my XO is mounted external. My only concern is if i glue the baffles on, how can i tweak the amount of stuffing? I'm going with rockwool/fibreglass fill. Fabric will be plastered over the rockwool so there won't be any issues of the wool flying out of the cabinet, hopefully.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to temporarily clamp the front baffles on, check out the tonal balance, then unclamp and tweak the stuffing. Rinse and repeat. I'm just not too sure if the presence of the clamps will introduce added coloration/resonance to the cabinet, that being my only concern.

Has anyone done it this way, or is there another easier method i might have overlooked?
  • rdrowley
    • Sep 2010

You might be over thinking this a bit. I'm guessing you're front mounting the speakers. Just remove a speaker, adjust stuffing, remount speaker, rinse, repeat. If you are concerned about the wood holding up during this use T-nuts or hurricane nuts to mount the speaker.
    -Ryan

Comment

• Hank
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2002

I also think you're overly concerned. The wood/MDF integrity will hold for 2 or 3 driver removals, but for more, or a confidence booster, use some of these, as Ryan was alluding to:
      Threaded Inserts and T-Nuts, learn what are they and which one do you use for specific applications.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"