X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teejay
    • Jul 2008

On-Wall Monitor Statements?

First off I have to thank Jim and Curt for the excellent Statement design. I have thoroughly enjoyed them and wish I would have built them sooner.

I'm looking to build a dedicated home theater room in the near future. I currently have a set of the full sized Statements for my L/R as well as the Statement center. I also have a pair of statement monitors that I have been using for surrounds. Unfortunately in my new space I don't think I'll have the width to keep the surrounds a foot off of the walls.

I'm thinking of trying to build a round half column (18" or 24" in diameter) to house a new version of the surrounds and am looking for some advice on the best way to proceed. I could probably keep the ported design by venting out the bottom of the speaker and into the hollow column (which could also vent into the room at the bottom if necessary?). I would definitely need to seal the mid tunnel though. Am I better off not building the tunnel at all or just sealing the back of it? Would any crossover modifications be necessary?

Thanks in advance for advice.
    Attached Files
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Rather than try and reinvent the wheel, the In Khan Neato's by CJD or a custom design from Jed would easily work. Selah Audio also has in wall designs that would accomplish your goals.

Email Curt if you'd like to pursue modifying the Monitors.

Jim

Comment

• john trials
      • Mar 2009

I have the exact same speaker setup as you (although I bet our subwoofers are different!). I use Statement Monitors as surrounds, too. One is about 3 feet off the wall and the other is about 3 inches off the wall (I just don't have the optimum room in my house for a perfect 5.1 system). It's not a huge deal to me. I'm very pleased with the sound. Just use what you've got!

In one speaker book, I even read that aiming the surround speakers at the ceiling is very effective with producing a diffuse sound that is desired for surrounds.

So I guess I'm basically saying that you should try experimenting with what you have before you proceed with a new speaker design. You may find that it's not a big deal if the Monitors are not perfectly spaced from the wall.
      Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Diffuse surround is only desire for 5.1 I think it is... or maybe just older mixes. definitely want more directional point source for 6.1 or 7.1 or you clearly lose something.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JimAckley
          • Mar 2011

I'm with John. Experiment some before you start to try to conjure up a solution that costs time and money and might not be necessary. Let us know what you find out!

Comment

• Teejay
            • Jul 2008

Thanks for the comments everyone. I will definitely try experimenting a bit once we get the space roughed in. Looking around the web I also stumbled upon an on-wall statement-like monopole and dipole surround (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1140270) for those who may be interested.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"