X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atx_hometheater
    • Aug 2011

Need help designing Modula MT + Bass Bin

Hi folks,

What sort of changes need to be made to the Modula MT crossover to use it in a three-way with the JBL LE14A woofer?

I don't expect perfection, but if someone could help me get into the ballpark, I would appreciate it. Even if it means using an L-Pad.

I've attached the only t/s #'s I could find for the JBL LE14A woofer. It will be in a 60L enclosure tuned to 30hz. The Module MT will sit on top of this unit.

Any help with the crossover would be appreciated.
    I cannot afford an outboard processor & amp setup to run the LE14A's separately. So it needs to be a three-way crossover.

Here is the normal Modula MT crossover by Jon Marsh:
    Attached Files
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I'm just flying back from the East coast, and will give the some thought. Problem may be sensitivity match up. Also. A good passive crossover might cost as much as a cheap or used plate amp- will toss out some ideas to consider
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• atx_hometheater
      • Aug 2011

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the input!
      I do have all the components for the standard crossover. Hopefully this is as easy as just adding a few extra components.

I'm on a home remodel budget, so there is no cash leftover for amp and active crossover, unfortunately.

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by atx_hometheater
        Hi Jon,

Thanks for the input!
        I do have all the components for the standard crossover. Hopefully this is as easy as just adding a few extra components.

I'm on a home remodel budget, so there is no cash leftover for amp and active crossover, unfortunately.
        Most plate amps have a built in crossover. Your best bet is to build the TM sealed and follow Jon's advice.
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• engr_dave
          • Dec 2005

Most plate amps have a built in crossover
          All of the plate amps I have looked at have a low-pass. None of them have high pass (the RCA "out" jacks are pass-thru). I suppose this is OK if you are matching the natural rolloff of the Modula... but I hate to see all that amplifier power wasted, and modulation distortion created, by running the Modula's full range.

Comment

• atx_hometheater
            • Aug 2011

Maybe I'm using the wrong term when I say "bass bin"?
            I'm looking for more of a stereo three way. A popular crossover point between a woofer & midrange seems to be 500hz, though I'm not stuck on that number.

The JBL LE14A is phenomenal up through 500hz and even 900hz.

Jon Marsh has an incredible reputation throughout cyberworld. I will certainly follow his recommendations, provided it falls within my meager budget. In this case, being less than $100 to spend on any crossover bits that need to be added to the crossover parts I already have for the Modula MT setup.

If the LE14A doesn't work, then I would consider selling it. They seem to fetch on eBay between $100-$250/pair depending on condition. I could use the funds to purchase a different woofer. Though I really like the LE14A's.

My goal is a musical full-range speaker capable of reference levels.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"