X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skvinson
    • Dec 2002

Latest Sonosub drivers

I just moved from a house where I had an IB sub. That is not an option in this house. I haven't kept up with the latest DIY designs b/c I've been happy with what I had. So, now I'm looking to build something to get the most 'bang for my buck.' I also have VERY limited skills, so I'm thinking about a sonosub. My question - what are the current drivers that people are using? ... Price vs. performance thoughts? ... Any current specials?

Thanks so much!
  • mackintire
    • Jan 2009

If you are looking for something that plays over 20hz and up start looking at folded horns. The Tuba THT is a very popular project. Insane SPL for little power input.

Did you by chance see this thread? http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=38817

It's not a horn....But my personal favorite design at the moment is called "The Easy Button" and "The Easy Button Max" There are quite a few drivers that will work in that box. But you will need 300-600 watts per cabinet to drive either of those. If you are looking for something smaller there is a "easy button mini" project that uses the x2 Shiva driver and works well with 200-300 watts.

The easy button max with a TC Sounds LMS-R is another beast, but that may be a larger footprint than what you are looking for.

2 Easy Button Max boxes with the driver listed about will play loud down to 15hz, very similar to to a sonatube type design, only without the driver sag issues and a higher efficiency.

Again these are my suggestions.
    Last edited by mackintire; 08 August 2011, 12:40 Monday.

Comment

• skvinson
      • Dec 2002

A horn sub is the thing I've been seeing a lot of as I've been looking around. I'll check out the ones you mention. ... Would still like to hear thoughts about drivers for Sonosubs. With my lack of woodworking skill, that is still the frontrunner. (Also, I need something tall and relatively narrow)

Comment

• brent_s
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by skvinson
        A horn sub is the thing I've been seeing a lot of as I've been looking around. I'll check out the ones you mention. ... Would still like to hear thoughts about drivers for Sonosubs. With my lack of woodworking skill, that is still the frontrunner. (Also, I need something tall and relatively narrow)
        Cutting a giant carboard tube to length with flat, level ends and then cutting the inner/outer endcaps to the exact diameter may require a bit more skill than you think.

My suggestion for a really easy build, assuming the dimensions work for you. Home Depot sells .75"x16"x48" MDF "shelves". Using four of these shelves full size for the walls give you an enclosure that's 16"x17.5"x49.5" without feet...that's ~6.5 ft^3 gross internal. Rough cut the top/bottom panels with a jig/circular saw, glue on and then flush cut with a router. Internal bracing can be cut accurately enough with a circular/jig saw. Tune to 17Hz with a full length 4" Precision Port...add feet to bottom fire the port.

Something like Dayton's DVC15 or RS390HF should work well. I'm sure there are a number of other 15" drivers that would match up well, too...Fi and eD being the current prime alternatives. You could also probably do a pair of 12s in the same cabinet. I'm partial to the 315HF-4 for value/performance.

-Brent

Comment

• skvinson
          • Dec 2002

Brent,

That sounds like a good (and simple!) build. Are there any detailed descriptions that you know of? I'd like to see how people have done the bracing, as well as some other details.

Thanks!

Comment

• skvinson
            • Dec 2002

... The dual 12's sound interesting too. Would 2 of them be equal to an 18"? Also, how would they be placed? (i.e., would they face forward?) For that matter, how would one 15" be placed? There aren't many options with sonotube. I guess there are with this type of enclosure.

Thanks again!

Comment

• gbegland
              • Apr 2005

I would personally check the Rythmik offerings if you are after sound quality over ultimate SPL levels. See my recent build here:

Also, the Dayton reference series subs from Partsexpress are nice drivers. Make sure to follow the link at the top of the forum here to get to their website.

Greg

Comment

• skvinson
                • Dec 2002

Greg,

I looked at your sonosub build. Very nice. I'll look into Rythmik drivers. I also want to check out TC Sounds. Does anyone have any ideas on how those compare to Rythmik and Dayton?

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Rhythmic isn't drivers. Its a control system. It can help with distortion, especially when designing distortion into the system by undersizing box or using drivers nearer their limits more consistently. WAF over big box free sound like the IB can deliver. Or a huge sonosub. Horn adds a different kind of distortion while limiting another. As always it's a choice of compromise. Where do you prefer your distortion.
                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• gbegland
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                    Rhythmic isn't drivers. Its a control system. It can help with distortion, especially when designing distortion into the system by undersizing box or using drivers nearer their limits more consistently. WAF over big box free sound like the IB can deliver. Or a huge sonosub. Horn adds a different kind of distortion while limiting another. As always it's a choice of compromise. Where do you prefer your distortion.
                    Well, technically Rythmik is offering drivers as well as the amps with the feedback circuitry as a combo. The drivers on their own are quite nice. Also, they are not recommending small boxes for their DIY kits. My sonosubs are around 3cu.ft. which is the recommended volume. Not too large, but definately not small, one-note boom boxes either. The sound quality from these systems is really very good and IMHO far superior to non servo setups anywhere near this price range. Highly recommended.

Greg

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

Meant to put an "about " in there. As in,rhythmic isn't about drivers.

3cu/ft is tiny ... ish. Not the 8 or more of some sonosubs call for.
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• skvinson
                        • Dec 2002

Thanks again. I'm learning a lot!

Comment

• rhubarb9999
                          • Apr 2009

I went from two 10 cu ft sonosubs (24" tube about 5' high) with 15" drivers to a single HT Tuba using the same 15" driver.

The Tuba is a FAR better solution. More bass, more feel, less power used.

You need a router to cut the circles for a sonosub. Getting them the perfect size is not easy.

You can build a Tuba with a circular saw and a jig saw. You can probably pick them both up at a pawn shop for $10 each.

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by brent_s
                            Cutting a giant carboard tube to length with flat, level ends and then cutting the inner/outer endcaps to the exact diameter may require a bit more skill than you think.

My suggestion for a really easy build, assuming the dimensions work for you. Home Depot sells .75"x16"x48" MDF "shelves". Using four of these shelves full size for the walls give you an enclosure that's 16"x17.5"x49.5" without feet...that's ~6.5 ft^3 gross internal. Rough cut the top/bottom panels with a jig/circular saw, glue on and then flush cut with a router. Internal bracing can be cut accurately enough with a circular/jig saw. Tune to 17Hz with a full length 4" Precision Port...add feet to bottom fire the port.

Something like Dayton's DVC15 or RS390HF should work well. I'm sure there are a number of other 15" drivers that would match up well, too...Fi and eD being the current prime alternatives. You could also probably do a pair of 12s in the same cabinet. I'm partial to the 315HF-4 for value/performance.

-Brent
                            Brent,
                            so the RS390HF 15" driver with the THT tuba design? i sent a note to the designer and didnt get a response on it...

Comment

• brent_s
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Txgrizzly
                              Brent,
                              so the RS390HF 15" driver with the THT tuba design? i sent a note to the designer and didnt get a response on it...
                              Non sequitor? Did you mean to quote someone else? I didn't mention anything about the THT. I don't really know anything about horn loaded subs except they're *BIG*. That extra sensitivity comes at too high a price in room real estate, IMO. I think the flat pack kit currently in vogue over at AVS is on the order of 24 ft^3...my refridgerator isn't even that big.

-Brent

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"