X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gravey45
    • Aug 2011

Sealed Statement Question

I am new to speaker DIY and have decided on building Jim Holts's sealed statement. I know the enclosure plans are on their site but I can't seem to find more info on the sealed variant. Such as the low end frequency response, insulation to use, and power handiling.
    I am ready to pull the trigger and order parts but would like to clear up some questions.

Thanks for any help.
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gravey45
    I am new to speaker DIY and have decided on building Jim Holts's sealed statement. I know the enclosure plans are on their site but I can't seem to find more info on the sealed variant. Such as the low end frequency response, insulation to use, and power handling.
    I am ready to pull the trigger and order parts but would like to clear up some questions.

Thanks for any help.
    I'll see if I can answer your questions:

1. " low end frequency response"
    Sealed Statements are designed to be used with subs and have an F/3 of around 50 Hz.

2."insulation to use"
    Use exactly the same insulation material as the ported version. I recommend 2" foam or fiberglass for the woofer compartments and specify only 1" flat foam in the mid tunnels. Search is your friend for this question. There are many discussions of alternatives.

3. "power handling."

Power handling is a spec for cheap speakers. The better way to look at it is to calculate the maximum volume capability of the drivers (about 110 - 112 db) and then determine how much power it takes to get them there. Figure 100 watts minimum up to ???? depending on how loud you want to play them. There have been some that love SET amps and have used them successfully but at much lower volumes.

HTH

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Holtz; 08 August 2011, 09:47 Monday.

Comment

• gravey45
      • Aug 2011

Hi Jim - thanks for your quick response. I have two 12 inch subs that the sealed statements would 'stand over'.
      I would have to make stands for this and it would bring the tweeters to their proper height. I currently have an Emotiva
      XPA-2 amp (300W into 8 ohms) and Axiom M80 tower speakers. The M80's are OK,better for HT, but seem to be missing some upper
      bass punch with two channel music. From what I have been reading the Statements should help in the bass department. Again
      thanks for responding to my nubbie questions.

Comment

• tchaik
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by gravey45
        Hi Jim - thanks for your quick response. I have two 12 inch subs that the sealed statements would 'stand over'.
        I would have to make stands for this and it would bring the tweeters to their proper height. I currently have an Emotiva
        XPA-2 amp (300W into 8 ohms) and Axiom M80 tower speakers. The M80's are OK,better for HT, but seem to be missing some upper
        bass punch with two channel music. From what I have been reading the Statements should help in the bass department. Again
        thanks for responding to my nubbie questions.
        i have the sealed statements driven by the emotiva xpa-2 and there appears to be more than enough power to drive to undistorted ear-splitting levels. imho they make a great match. for now, i am using a pair of dayton 12" titanics as my woofers each sitting under the sealed statements putting the tweeter at the proper height. i love the sound! at some point i would like to move into a better sub as finances allow, but right now i am very happy with the current results.

btw.....2 channel music is wonderful. all who have listened to my system thought i had the surround sound engaged it was so holographic. you won't be disappointed.

tchaik.........................

Comment

• gravey45
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by tchaik
          i have the sealed statements driven by the emotiva xpa-2 and there appears to be more than enough power to drive to undistorted ear-splitting levels. imho they make a great match. for now, i am using a pair of dayton 12" titanics as my woofers each sitting under the sealed statements putting the tweeter at the proper height. i love the sound! at some point i would like to move into a better sub as finances allow, but right now i am very happy with the current results.

btw.....2 channel music is wonderful. all who have listened to my system thought i had the surround sound engaged it was so holographic. you won't be disappointed.

tchaik.........................
          tchaik - your system is what I am looking to do. I have a large room (28 x 20 with 18 ft ceiling) and it is hard to get room filling sound with good dynamics. I wasn't concerned regarding the amp's power being able to drive the sealed statements but rather utilize more of its power. I think a sealed vs ported woofer takes more power for the same output level. Although the room is big I don't have alot of open wall space. I quess I am looking to save space by putting the subs under the mains instead of next to them. By going with the sealed version vs ported what will be given up?
          Those titanics must sound killer. I don't know if I would be in a hurry to replace them. Thanks for your response

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"