X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lurkalot
    • Dec 2005

Subwoofer or Amplifier Damage?

Hello,

I was listening to a movie tonight using my small Tang Band 8" subwoofer, and during a heavy bass passage, I hear 2-3 secongs of very loud static, then.... nothing.

Is is likely I have damage the plate amplifier or the speaker? I have not removed either from the cabinet yet.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Thank you.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

You could of shorted out the voice coil on the speaker.

Comment

• BOBinGA
      • Mar 2009

Push the woofer cone in and out gently by hand. If you hear a scratching sound, its the voice coil and the speaker will need to be replaced.

If don't hear anything, there are two other likely possibilities and neither are fatal:

1. You just made the amp clip and its not likely that would hurt the amp. Amps ususally have some protection built in and it should prevent failure.

2. If the sub is ported, you could have caused chuffing. Since you said this occurred during a strong bass passage, it is quite possible you found the right combination of frequency and volume to make it "pass gas". Again, this won't hurt anything - it just sounds bad. The solution is to turn it down or add a larger diameter and longer port.

You said that after the static there was "nothing". If by this you mean that the sub is completely dead and not making any sound, then pull the woofer and attach it to a speaker output on you amplifier. If it plays OK, its the amp.

If the speaker is blown, you still need to check the amp to see if it was the cause. To check the amp, hook the amp wires to another speaker and see if you get anything. You might want to use an expendible speaker for this test since if the amp if blown, it could put out a high DC voltage that will fry another speaker too. If you have a multimeter, you can measure the amp speaker leads for DC Voltage before you connect it to another speaker. Anything more than a quarter of a volt is too much, but anything over five volts and the amp it blown.

-Bob
      -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
      My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
      The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• Ray_D
        • Apr 2005

Most plate amps have a fuse. Have you checked that?

Ray

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"