X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GOWA
    • Apr 2007

Dennis Murphy

Dennis Murphy has launched his own speaker line called Philharmonic Audio.
    Good luck to you Dennis.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Website
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

From the website, it wasn't clear to me whether this was Dennis's company or just a company he is doing the crossover work for.

Either way, good for him. :T I wish them luck. It looks like they have very reasonably priced speakers, high quality speakers. RAAL tweeters in a $2000 comomercially available speaker :E ... But, I didn't see a center channel or dipole surrounds anywhere on their site. :P
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Paul K.
      • Jul 2008

It absolutely is Dennis' company; he just wrote in third person about himself.
      Paul

Originally posted by ---k---
      From the website, it wasn't clear to me whether this was Dennis's company or just a company he is doing the crossover work for.

Either way, good for him. :T I wish them luck. It looks like they have very reasonably priced speakers, high quality speakers. RAAL tweeters in a $2000 comomercially available speaker :E ... But, I didn't see a center channel or dipole surrounds anywhere on their site. :P

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Paul,

Thanks for clearing that up.

You getting rich on the deal too? :P

Really, best of luck to both of you. Speakers are a tough business. But, it seems like it has come full circle now.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Paul K.
          • Jul 2008

You betcha! My wife and I are in the process of deciding where to build our 10,000 square-foot beach house! :rofl:
          Paul

Originally posted by ---k---
          Paul,

Thanks for clearing that up.

You getting rich on the deal too? :P

Really, best of luck to both of you. Speakers are a tough business. But, it seems like it has come full circle now.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Paul K.
            You betcha! My wife and I are in the process of deciding where to build our 10,000 square-foot beach house! :rofl:
            Paul
            Your dreams seem such a lovely location and ideal for such a project.

Sounds like fun all around...
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by GOWA
              Dennis Murphy has launched his own speaker line called Philharmonic Audio.
              Good luck to you Dennis.

Very good to see Dennis doing this after all these years- now he'll likely forget what it's like to have spare time in retirement!

I'm wondering, does this sort of put him in competition with Salk Audio, whom I thought he did a lot of crossover work for? Hope he can maintain that relationship if it was adequately remunerative for him.

Interesting choice for Dennis of LR4- considering how often in the past he's been a real LR2 kind of guy.

Best wishes for him in this endeavor.

~jon
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul K.
                • Jul 2008

Jon, Dennis is in Vail, CO and is paying for internet by the minute while there. I told him about your comments. Dennis is not an HTGuide member, but read your comments, and he asked me to post this reply below for him.
                Paul

Hi Jon Thanks for the good wishes. Although I'm technically in competition with my good friend Jim Salk, I've tried to position these designs to minimize conflicts. My speakers are really aimed at people who aren't very concerned about furniture grade cabinetry. Also, Jim will make cabinets for my speakers if anyone wishes (at a premium, of course), so it's a joint venture in that regard. I'm still doing design work for Jim--every week. Good catch on the 4th order vs 2nd order slopes. I always use 4th order on ribbons so I can cross lower without destroying tin foil. For these designs, I also crossed 4th order between the mid and woofer because I didn't want to overtax the Neo 8 planar at the crossover point of around 650 Hz. With the open back midrange cabinet, I think the blend is quite seamless

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                Very good to see Dennis doing this after all these years- now he'll likely forget what it's like to have spare time in retirement!

I'm wondering, does this sort of put him in competition with Salk Audio, whom I thought he did a lot of crossover work for? Hope he can maintain that relationship if it was adequately remunerative for him.

Interesting choice for Dennis of LR4- considering how often in the past he's been a real LR2 kind of guy.

Best wishes for him in this endeavor.

~jon

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Paul K.
                  Jon, Dennis is in Vail, CO and is paying for internet by the minute while there. I told him about your comments. Dennis is not an HTGuide member, but read your comments, and he asked me to post this reply below for him.
                  Paul

Hi Jon Thanks for the good wishes. Although I'm technically in competition with my good friend Jim Salk, I've tried to position these designs to minimize conflicts. My speakers are really aimed at people who aren't very concerned about furniture grade cabinetry. Also, Jim will make cabinets for my speakers if anyone wishes (at a premium, of course), so it's a joint venture in that regard. I'm still doing design work for Jim--every week. Good catch on the 4th order vs 2nd order slopes. I always use 4th order on ribbons so I can cross lower without destroying tin foil. For these designs, I also crossed 4th order between the mid and woofer because I didn't want to overtax the Neo 8 planar at the crossover point of around 650 Hz. With the open back midrange cabinet, I think the blend is quite seamless
                  Thanks for taking the time to respond! Enjoy Vail- it's beautiful up there.

You're explanations both in regards to Jim Salk and your new crossover are pretty much what I expected, based on the known facts, but it's much better to hear form your mouth than to just speculate from connecting a few known dots!

I'll be looking forward to see how Philharmonic Audio progresses! An auspicious start, I'd say! :T
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• drab
                    • Jan 2009

Dennis has been a member here for years.
                    BAMTM build

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"