X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevovee
    • Aug 2009

New Boombox Project Lipo powered PWM amplifier speakers

A while back i purchased a sure electronics 15 watt amplifier and some hivi b3n full range speakers to use as some inexpensive speakers for my work computer....After playing around with small Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery power on the speakers I realized that these amps are incredibly efficient....another tip off is the fact that they make almost no heat. I later ended up going bringing the speakers into my shop while I worked on other furniture/speaker projects and found that I can get 16+ hours of playback with a 3s 2200mah rc lipo battery (around 12 dollars a battery)....and I can take it anywhere...problem is with two separate speakers, wires, mp3 player wire etc its a pain in the butt to move around hence the need for a boombox project. The b3n's are pretty decent but I kind of want to go with a 2-way design. For work I had designed a set of 4ohm 2 way speakers to run off battery power and they really cranked out the sound with this same amplifier....but I can't get ahold of those drivers in small quantities below a few thousand... Any driver recommendations? I want something that won't require too large of a box and will be relatively inexpensive also
  • stevovee
    • Aug 2009

some other items I might try are....I have a bluetooth audio chip...which would require a separate power source....or a voltage regulation circuit but it would be cool to be able to transmit audio from my phone to the boombox via bluetooth

Comment

• stevovee
      • Aug 2009

actually the ONS doesn't look like a bad design for this, not too expensive looks like good sound...however this amp is much more powerful/efficient at 4ohms so i'd prefer to go with a 4 ohm speaker....also if i could get something really efficient that'd be fantastic....i'm thinking big sound from a small package

Comment

• fbov
        • Jun 2008

We're thinking along similar lines.
        Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Now a 1+ cu ft. cube isn't really a small package, and $80 drivers aren't cheap, but these are efficient! Just don't skip the contour network; that $6 makes the PS180 listenable on-axis.

Have fun,
        Frank

Comment

• Undefinition
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by stevovee
          actually the ONS doesn't look like a bad design for this, not too expensive looks like good sound...however this amp is much more powerful/efficient at 4ohms so i'd prefer to go with a 4 ohm speaker....also if i could get something really efficient that'd be fantastic....i'm thinking big sound from a small package
          Then go for the OSMTM. :B
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
          Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• stevovee
            • Aug 2009

excellent advice so far....i'd like to keep this project semi cheap....I have several friends who are excited about building this project but aren't audiophiles like most of us on here...I'd also like to not worry about puncturing an expensive driver...this setup will mostly be used when i work in my shop, head to the beach etc.... On my diy blog i've had quite a bit of feedback regarding this project...a lot of DIYers who aren't necessarily audiophiles....I think it'd be cool if this project got at least a few of them into building diy speakers

Comment

• Undefinition
              • Dec 2006

The one big challenge (IMO) when trying to get high sensitivity is that bass extension suffers, especially when the box has to be small. (see: Hoffman's Iron Law) Something you could try for this might be a PA woofer--these come in a huge variety of sizes and prices. Sure, they vary in quality, but one thing is for sure about all of them: they're all very loud! But like I was saying, going with one of these woofers means there won't be much bass.

Sorry, not much help, am I?
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
              Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• stevovee
                • Aug 2009

bass

The bass issue is understandable based on the constraints of the project....most of these woofers...even the ONS will prob be more bass than you usually get with a battery powered speaker setup

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"