X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

Neodymium Prices Up

I've been pretty busy with my CNC project lately, so speaker building has been way, way in the back of my head (though with a caveat). However, I went over to Madisound's website to window shop on Accuton drivers this morning and saw the new '191 series of 173mm woofers (c173-6-191 and -191E). So, I went over to Accuton's website to see if there was more information, and I was greeted with an article on the rising price of Neodymium (and other rare earth metals) and how it was forcing Accuton to redesign its drivers.

In looking at Accuton's driver roster, it looks like the '95 and '95E are the first casualties, since they are no longer on the list of standard drivers. That seems to make the '191 and '191E their direct replacements. However, at close to $400 each, those 3rd order harmonic distortion levels don't exactly make the check write itself.

While Accuton is an extreme, this starts to beg the question for other, more popular drivers that rely heavily on Nd magnets (e.g., Tang Band), and basically for almost all popular tweeters (the HDS tweeter is one of the few in my arsenal that uses a standard ferrite magnet, IIRC).

Has anyone else started noticing price changes, design changes or availability problems with Nd-reliant drivers?
    Attached Files
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
  • baniels
    • Nov 2006

There is a lot of talk about this on the PE forum in the last few weeks.

Check this thread Holy Cow... the price of TB drivers.
    L&R Build
    Sub Build

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

I'm looking to pick up a pair of C173-6-090 in the next couple of weeks, I hope the price doesn't jump up like Tang Band's did.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Face
        I'm looking to pick up a pair of C173-6-090 in the next couple of weeks, I hope the price doesn't jump up like Tang Band's did.
        Once the current batch is gone..... they will be hard to get altogether, not to mention if you want them they'll be extremely expensive. My rep at Madisound warned me that anything with NEO is skyrocketing in price soon.

Comment

• Face
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Jed
          Once the current batch is gone..... they will be hard to get altogether, not to mention if you want them they'll be extremely expensive. My rep at Madisound warned me that anything with NEO is skyrocketing in price soon.
          Buying a pair tonight, debating if I should also pick up a pair of Be domes before they go through the roof too. :M

Comment

• benchtester
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Face
            Buying a pair tonight, debating if I should also pick up a pair of Be domes before they go through the roof too. :M
            It raises some questions. I am guessing that really high end stuff probably won't go up much since the material cost jump is small relative to the price. I wonder about some of the medium ferrite speaker; will they go up because there is less price pressure from the Neo speakers.

Comment

• KnightsOfNi
              • Feb 2010

I am working on a bass guitar speaker called the fEARFUL
              The Eminence Neo woofer for that went from $160 approx to $315CDN overnight! 8O
              Fortunately I grabbed one just before
              I guess I will not be building 2 now
              Regards Knights

Comment

• Face
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by benchtester
                It raises some questions. I am guessing that really high end stuff probably won't go up much since the material cost jump is small relative to the price. I wonder about some of the medium ferrite speaker; will they go up because there is less price pressure from the Neo speakers.
                I hope this is true as I decided to hold off on the Be tweets for now.

Originally posted by KnightsOfNi
                I am working on a bass guitar speaker called the fEARFUL
                The Eminence Neo woofer for that went from $160 approx to $315CDN overnight! 8O
                Fortunately I grabbed one just before
                I guess I will not be building 2 now
                Regards Knights
                Ouch! Btw, great user name!

Comment

• Face
                  • Mar 2007

It appears Madisound is out of them, I bet a couple posters here cleared them out.

I was told another batch from Germany should be shipping in the next week or two, so there will only be a small delay.

Comment

• stevovee
                    • Aug 2009

the chinese basically control the supply of neodymium...and they ave used it as a political weapon several times in the past few years

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"