Entertainment center with extruded aluminum?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneplustwo
    • Jan 2010

Entertainment center with extruded aluminum?

Has anyone tried making an entertainment center/equipment rack with extruded aluminum? I'm trying to figure out how I want to execute my next project. Needs to hold a 50" HDTV, a couple amps, AVR, DVR, PS3, Wii, and a center channel (ZDT 3.5.)

I might just do a wooden one, but wanted to see if folks had tried the modular extruded aluminum route.
    Zaph SR-71
    Zaph ZDT 3.5
    Sunflower Redux
    12" Dayton HF sub
    CJD RS 150 MT
    Revelator bookshelf
    2x12 Guitar cab
    Corner loaded line array
  • oxcartdriver
    • Apr 2006

Hello

I built a stand out of wood with a concealed steel frame. I choose not to go with Aluminum due to the deflection with readily available Aluminum. Found a local metal shop willing to sell 1in square stock steel with just under 1/8in wall.

Used wood legs 3x3in legs morticed to hold 1 inch square steel. Then ran a front to back steel bunk between each leg. Ran 3x 1inch steel horizontal below the top shelf and bottom shelf. Horizontal steel was welded to the steel bunks with a couple cross links as well.

Steel was covered by veneered BB plywood on top, with a piece of edge trim and hanging down below the plywood. You cannot see the steel, but the steel does help the integrity of the unit.

No sag, holding a bit of a load. 75lb center speaker, 100lb flat screen (on 23in bearing which may spread the load a bit), ~50lb amp. Plus numerous other electronics and accessories. Nearly 3 years now and zero sag.

Even during construction the sag was less than 1mm supporting 500lbs.

Problem is the weight. The unit weights about 250-300lbs empty, and looks like wood construction.

Only regret is not building in a cherry finish.

Comment

• JonP
      • Apr 2006

You might check out these guys... http://www.8020.net/Default.asp Bosch also has a very similar, modular construction system.

Kinda pricey but very cool... and looks pretty nice. The pieces due to their structure are a lot stronger than just a piece of flat or angle aluminum. Truly deserves their tagline "The Industrial Erector Set".

Comment

• oneplustwo
        • Jan 2010

Thanks for the link JonP. I actually spent some time on their site as part of my research previously. To your point, it seems kinda pricey. Not sure if there are other suppliers that are less expensive but it's a good baseline at least. Also, not sure what the WAF is on something like this. I might be better off with wood at the end of the day.
        Zaph SR-71
        Zaph ZDT 3.5
        Sunflower Redux
        12" Dayton HF sub
        CJD RS 150 MT
        Revelator bookshelf
        2x12 Guitar cab
        Corner loaded line array

Comment

• gbegland
          • Apr 2005

I've been considering the same thing now that the speaker project is almost complete. I saw a guy over on the Legacy Audio forum 2 years ago post a pair of equipment racks made from t-slot aluminum from the 80/20 company. I think he used the super heavy duty 3" stuff and it looked like i would withstand a bomb blast! They looked totally professional. I've had that in the back of my mind ever since.

Try these links also. All similar product, but maybe cheaper. I honestly have not asked for any quotes yet. Also, 80/20 has a clearance Ebay store that might have what you need.

Need quality aluminum T-slotted extrusion manufacturers? Bonnell Aluminum is the nation’s largest manufacturer and distributor quality aluminum extrusions.

Faztek provides custom fabrication, machine guarding, and safety solutions for warehouses and manufacturing facilities.

Keep us posted, you might beat me to it. You know, Ikea has some nice looking, thick butcher block countertop material that makes great shelves for a project like this. I bought some a while ago on clearance just for this project. Gonna look sweet.

Greg

Comment

• JonP
            • Apr 2006

Yep the stuff is fairly expensive, but it does have a pretty finished and pro look... anything you might make out of stock aluminum would probably take a lot of work to get to a finished look.

I've had a thought of making some kind of dipole panel, using the 8020 stuff as a frame, kicking around in the back of my head for years...

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"