X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • supahdupah
    • Dec 2010

First woodwork/speaker project - ONS-MTM

I have just complete my first woodworking project which happend to be a pair of Overnight Sensations MTM.

I built them out of Baltic Birch, Zebrawood Veneer finished with 5 coats of Shellac, black hammered metal finished (Rustoleum) baffle.

This is actually the second finish. I had done a curly maple veneered box with a bird's eye maple baffle, but i didn't like the look so ripped it off.

This project was very expensive. I built a woodworking shop along with the speakers: Festool TS-75 & MFT-3, General Drill Press, Triton & Freud 3.25HP routers, clamps, lots of hand tools, finishing products. These speakers cost about $4k to build .

They sound great btw.
    Attached Files
  • rdrowley
    • Sep 2010

Very nice! But you forgot one thing. How do you like them? How do they sound?

It's always great when you can use a fun woodworking project as an excuse to buy tools. That is exactly how I have most of my tools.
    -Ryan

Comment

• Carl V
      • Apr 2005

nice work for your 1st woodworking project.
      And yeah factoring in the price of tools always
      keep thinks in perspective. I chuckle when people
      ask how much I saved building my own... if they only
      knew the true cost in terms of time, effort & tools.

I have done some Zebra wood Northcreek speakers.
      I just saw Jim Salk's dyed zebrawood speakers. I may
      revisit zebrano but with some transtint dye.

Nice work.
      I hope you are both happy & inspired with the OS
      to try another design in the future.

Comment

• supahdupah
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Carl V
        nice work for your 1st woodworking project.
        And yeah factoring in the price of tools always
        keep thinks in perspective. I chuckle when people
        ask how much I saved building my own... if they only
        knew the true cost in terms of time, effort & tools.

I have done some Zebra wood Northcreek speakers.
        I just saw Jim Salk's dyed zebrawood speakers. I may
        revisit zebrano but with some transtint dye.

Nice work.
        I hope you are both happy & inspired with the OS
        to try another design in the future.
        I am already researching my next build. These are a little small for my living room. I am far more comfortable with my woodworking skills now as well.

Any recommendations? I have looked at the mini statements, statement monitors. I would really like to find a speaker like the statement monitors (stand) but maybe a little bit bigger.

I really like the look of Troels Gravesen's stuff, but not much talk about his designs here.

Comment

• stevovee
          • Aug 2009

This project was very expensive. I built a woodworking shop along with the speakers: Festool TS-75 & MFT-3, General Drill Press, Triton & Freud 3.25HP routers, clamps, lots of hand tools, finishing products. These speakers cost about $4k to build .
          Ha sounds like my first pair of speakers I built...started thinking i could make a set without that many tools....next thing you know i'm carting a 500lb bandsaw down into my shop. Now I build all of my furniture though so in the long run instead of throw-away crap ill end up with high quality stuff...can't go wrong with the festool stuff I'm considering getting one of those plunge cut saws...got one of their sanders and...its amazing...i honestly didn't think there could be a difference with a sander but wow

Comment

• johngalt47
            • Apr 2007

How did you veneer over bb ply?

supah,
            What method did you use for the veneer? Someone once told me not to veneer over plywood so I'm curious how you went about it.

Comment

• supahdupah
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johngalt47
              supah,
              What method did you use for the veneer? Someone once told me not to veneer over plywood so I'm curious how you went about it.
              A little late to answer ( I play golf in the summer )

I used Heat-Lock veneer glue. So far so good. I've looked at building a simple vacuum veneering system.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"