• Show
Clear All
  • randal
    • Apr 2011

Inductor questions

First of all tks for all your help.
    I learn a lot about from this website.
    I have a questions about Inductor.
    I knew very little about it. It is better that we did not replace / change inductor as specified by crossover designer due to DCR
    but still I have tons of questions.

1. how many different type of Inductor (I found this from Jantzen : http://www.jantzen-audio.com/html/coils.html or http://www.mundorf.com/english/bauteile/frspule.htm) (air core, P core etc....)
    2. What AWG effect on Inductor?
    3. Will the inductor can be subs with other brand (I mean like resistor, as long as the Ohm and Watt is the same is ok)

tks
  • Thooms
    • Aug 2009

There're two types of inductors - air cored and iron (ferrite) cored.

Iron cored ones require fewer turns of wire to hit the same inductance value - so for a given a given inductance value at a certain gauge of wire you need less wire. This means lower DCR (DC Resistance).

As ever, nothing's for free with audio. Iron cored inductors can saturate and become non-linear - but the tradeoff is lower DCR. For a large value inductor an air cored one would have to be enormous, and hence very expensive which is why you see them used.

AWG nets you lower DCR - but again this is why large values with low DCR are expensive - especially air cored. You're buying a lot of (expensive) metal!

Brands shouldn't matter - as long as the specs (inductance, DCR etc) are the same. Like you say they should be interchangeable.
    Bianchi C2C Peerless XLS Sub

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"