Choosing an amp, attaching gain control and inputs.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LastShadow
    • May 2011

Choosing an amp, attaching gain control and inputs.

First things first. This is my first post on htguide.com and I am incredibly happy to find a community that is so interested in DIY speakers. Thank you.

Unfortunately, I am new to the game. I have a good understanding of crossovers and am working on a speaker that will have an integrated amp. In order for this to work it will need to accept an RCA and have gain control. The problem is, I have no idea how to choose the right amp or where to integrate the aforementioned features. I am looking for an amp to accommodate 150 watts RMS. Also, can I use a sub amp? Why/Why not? I have a feeling this is a dumb question as they are probably designed to output a lower frequency range only.

LastShadow
  • Thooms
    • Aug 2009

Usually in this situation you'd use a preamp for gain control and the power amps in the speakers will have a fixed gain - that way you don't have to constantly adjust both speakers to have the same volume.

Sub amps usually have an active crossover built in, so you wouldn't get anything above (say) 150Hz out because it'd be trimmed off by the filter. I'm not sure if you can get full range plate amps - but you could always make your own

Presumably it's a full range speaker? If there's just one that would make a preamp relatively pointless - you could try a potentiometer (and a simple opamp buffer if required) on the input of the amp if you find an otherwise suitable amplifier which doesn't have gain control.
    Bianchi C2C Peerless XLS Sub

Comment

• LastShadow
      • May 2011

Yes it is just a single full range speaker for music playback. It should accommodate 33Hz and up.

Comment

• LastShadow
        • May 2011

Can you be more specific as to how I could incorporate the RCA? I thought the potentiometer was a good idea after a quick look. As far as the amp goes... FML... not sure I am ready to build one.

Comment

• LastShadow
          • May 2011

To get an idea I want to do something very similar to this http://www.martinlogan.com/products/purity

Comment

• PanteraGSTK
            • Aug 2009

If you don't want to build the amps yourself you could always grab some recording monitors and steal their amps. The only thing is that most are bi-amped so you would need to keep that in mind.

Comment

• Undefinition
              • Dec 2006

There's a guy who did a version of the Overnight Sensations with a built-in amp. Might give you some ideas.

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
              Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Thooms
                • Aug 2009

You'd ground the (-) terminals and then off you go!

For an amp, maybe one of these kits could be worth building? They're pretty straightforward - could be worth thinking about.

That said, amp building is pretty addictive...tread carefully
                Bianchi C2C Peerless XLS Sub

Comment

• heapatrouble
                  • Feb 2009

Class D Kits

These kits have received good reviews and are configurable or sold with all the features you seek. It would be a relatively simple matter to install an amp in pretty much any kind of speaker with sufficient internal volume.

DESIGNED & MANUFACTURED IN AMERICA view all products 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED view all products SAVE THOUSANDS $$$ FACTORY DIRECT view all products It Just Doesn’t...

In particular, check out the SDS amp kits as they come with gain controls and would be very easy to adapt to what you described.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"