X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gsindela
    • May 2011

New to DIY: need advice for severe size and placement limits

I also posted this in the AVS Forum, but would like to get as much information as possible. So, I thought I would post here as well.

I'm totally new to DIY. I've been into HiFi for about 20 years going back to high school. The pinnacle of my experience thus far was the purchase in the year 2000 of a system composed of the following:

1. ProAc Tablette monitors
    2. Naim Nait integrated amp
    3. Rega Planet CD player

Frankly, I thought that system was incredible. The resolution and overall reality was many levels over my first Denon/Infinity system.

Fast forward 10 years. A wife, two kids, a mortgage. I'm in the process of assembling my first respectable home theater system that currently consists of the following:

1. LG 60PK950 plasma
    2. Yamaha RX-660 AVR
    3. Sony BDP-550 Blu-ray player
    4. Energy CB-5 mini-monitors (1 pair) acting as LRC channels (3/4" tweeter, 4.5" midbass, 5.7 inch width)
    5. Axiom Audio di-pole surrounds
    6. Epik Legend sub

The issue is the Energy fronts (http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...cb-5-overview/). The system is in my family room, not a dedicated room. I have HUGE constraints from both the wife and the placement limitations. I have the fronts sitting sideways under the TV in the the TV cabinet. They are lying sideways because the space is only 5 7/8" wide. Hence my purchase of the CB-5s, which fit very nicely in that very small space.

The other issue is they are only about 6 inches off the ground. Clearly, this is far less than optimal. The TV with the stand is in the corner of the family room and therefore leaves no room for floorstanders or stand mounts on either side of the TV. The wife would also not be keen on wall mounts.

Basically, I want to get or build a speaker that will fit in the small space of the cabinet (5 7/8") with the highest fidelity possible.

My first thought was to upgrade the drivers in the Energy CB-5s. After doing a fair amount on research starting on this forum and around the internet, I quickly realized that would be a fool's errand.

Of the proven designs I've browsed, only the full range, single driver design from Zaph, the HiVi B3S at http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html is narrow enough to fit in the narrow space. Which begs the question, will that design be a significant improvement over my current 2-way Energy CB-5s? In other words, would it be worth the effort?

Also, are there other proven designs out there that fit my 5 7/8" width restriction?

Keep in mind, I do have the Epik Legend Sub, so bass output is definitely not a requirement.

Thank you in advance for any advice! -Gordon.
    Last edited by gsindela; 10 May 2011, 15:44 Tuesday.
  • DeathMonk
    • Jun 2008

Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of designs out there that meet your needs. Keep in mind that some of these designs are not meant to be placed horizontally. That could even be the case with your Energy's.

The Overnight Sensations are close:

They are 6" wide, so I'm guessing you couldn't squeeze another 1/8" out of your entertainment center.

Bose Busters are another option.. Or wait for the Bose Buster Version 2s. Problem is I'm not sure you're going to be gaining much (you would definitely be losing some bass) if you went with the BBs.

My advice is to get your wife to let you build something that can sit outside the entertainment center.

Comment

• Silver1omo
      • Sep 2010

Perhaps something done with a coaxial...
      This driver seems to be NLA, but you get the idea:
      Domain for Sale. LoneSaguaro.com. Request Price. What Are the Advantages of a Super Premium .Com Domain? Increased Traffic. Search Engine Ranking. Brand Recognition. Immediate Presence. Higher Profits. Great Investment. #1 in Premium Domains. 300,000 of the World's Best .Com Domains.
      Ivan.
      My Statement monitors

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• DeathMonk
          • Jun 2008

Ive never seen this design. This may be worth a try.

Comment

• TW1
            • Jan 2010

This design looks like it could fit your space requirements, if they can be place on their side might be questions for the designer.

Comment

• Silver1omo
              • Sep 2010

That looks interesting.
              Ivan.
              My Statement monitors

Comment

• gsindela
                • May 2011

Originally posted by TW1
                http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/W12.htm
                This design looks like it could fit your space requirements, if they can be place on their side might be questions for the designer.
                Looks like we may have a winner here. Thank you all so much for the advice. The diligence continues...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"