X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cazten
    • Jul 2009

Some opinion, Troels DTQWT

So I'm thinking about doing the Troels Gavensen DTQWT, the single 12 inch woofer version. using a Single Kappalite 3012HO.

I'm wanting to get a gauge on how you think these will perform in general and also for my application.

1.Im looking for Music/HT speakers for a small apartment setup (tho i want to take these with me for years). Probably a area in the realm of 150square feet. Potentially an open ended room thats much bigger as apartments tend to blend the kitchen/living/dining. I Cant pin point this down exactly as I haven't chosen the apartment lol. My GF and I are still hunting.
    2. I don't have the money to get a dedicated sub anytime soon. So I want to make sure the build will perform with adequate low end bass. Its a TQW design, but the drivers (including the woofer) aren't exactly renowned as superb low end monsters from my understanding.

My other thought was the Zaph ZRT 2 way.

Thoughts?
  • SpeakerGuy
    • Mar 2010

With the 3012HO you sacrifice low end extension for: a high sensitivity woofer capable of playing very loud very cleanly. With well made dynamic recordings, implemented in a good design, that woofer should be capable of stunning dynamics in a setting such as an apartment, or room in a house.

It's base output will extend just low enough to cover most music well - certainly a good start with the possiblility of augmenting with a subwoofer somewhere later down the road.

For others reading the thread here is info about using the 3012HO:

"A series 8.2 mH C-coil and 15 uF + 8R2 parallel to the driver"

Last edited by SpeakerGuy; 02 May 2011, 23:12 Monday.

Comment

• SpeakerGuy
      • Mar 2010

Hello,
      Instead of building the 3-way Troels Gavensen DTQWT, how about just building the bass portion with 1 3012HO and making it into a 2-way with a wavguide tweeter combo.

Something like Brandon "Augerpro"'s "No Quarter", except with more bass

I think I will do this myself as I have a pair of the 3012HO + some waveguides & tweeters that I was going to try an "econowave" with, but the idea of a TL is more exciting...

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"