X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DAVE.S
    • Jan 2010

statements and seperate enclosures

i am in the R&D step process of my second statement build this time i want to build it better than my last pair i was thinking of bulding them with spearate enclosures like this

would like your thoughts
  • Silver1omo
    • Sep 2010

That can look really good. Not sure if having 2 boxes tuned individually vs 1 with 2 drivers will change the speaker sound that much...
    Ivan.
    My Statement monitors

Comment

• DAVE.S
      • Jan 2010

thats what i was thinking the original statements is 100 liters ported so can i make the chambers 50 liters ( 40 ) with the new un-shielded drivers ported ?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DAVE.S
        i am in the R&D step process of my second statement build this time i want to build it better than my last pair i was thinking of bulding them with spearate enclosures like this

would like your thoughts
        Hi Dave,

Yes, you can create separate woofer compartments as you see in the link but you can't recess the mids/ribbon as they have without redesigning the crossover. Driver positioning is critical to the crossover design.

Sorry...

Jim

Comment

• DAVE.S
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
          Hi Dave,

Yes, you can create separate woofer compartments as you see in the link but you can't recess the mids/ribbon as they have without redesigning the crossover. Driver positioning is critical to the crossover design.

Sorry...

Jim
          yeah i know i think it would be beneficial to the cosmetics anyway what about the extreme roundover

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

yeah i know i think it would be beneficial to the cosmetics anyway what about the extreme roundover
            If you change the position of the mids to the woofers as the picture showed, roundovers will be the least of your concerns. Sorry, but what you are proposing is a redesign that will require crossover changes.

Good luck!

Jim

Comment

• DAVE.S
              • Jan 2010

If you change the position of the mids to the woofers as the picture showed, roundovers will be the least of your concerns. Sorry, but what you are proposing is a redesign that will require crossover changes.

Good luck!

Jim
              no no no your interpreting my ''design'' all wrong the only thing i am proposing is seperate enclosure statement i understand the distance between the drivers is very important i also wont be time aliagned the drivers like the evolution accoustics did

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

no no no your interpreting my ''design'' all wrong the only thing i am proposing is seperate enclosure statement i understand the distance between the drivers is very important i also wont be time aliagned the drivers like the evolution accoustics did
                Ahhh.... My bad. ops: I thought you wanted to do the stair step thing with the drivers. As long as the front of the cabinet is flat and pretty close to the correct width with the same driver spacing, you can "customize" the cabinet all you want.

Round overs always help smooth the transition of the sound waves but I can honestly say, I've built cabinets with square edges, beveled edges and with rounded edges, but I've never heard a difference. Dennis Murphy proved the differences are measurable but I'm not convinced they're audible.

Again, sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Jim

Comment

• DAVE.S
                  • Jan 2010

Ahhh.... My bad. ops: I thought you wanted to do the stair step thing with the drivers. As long as the front of the cabinet is flat and pretty close to the correct width with the same driver spacing, you can "customize" the cabinet all you want.

Round overs always help smooth the transition of the sound waves but I can honestly say, I've built cabinets with square edges, beveled edges and with rounded edges, but I've never heard a difference. Dennis Murphy proved the differences are measurable but I'm not convinced they're audible.

Again, sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Jim
                  its all good i might just build both the standard box shape and extreme round over as shown well atleast with the mid as i think its worth at least experimenting

Comment

• DAVE.S
                    • Jan 2010

off topic axpona is going to be fun cant wait my first time seeing in person any speakers above 1K

Comment

• AdelaaR
                      • Dec 2010

You have never even seen a speaker above 1K?
                      Doesn't your local hifi shop have speakers way more expensive?

Thanks for the enlightenment on box customization, Jim, btw.

Comment

• DAVE.S
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by AdelaaR
                        You have never even seen a speaker above 1K?
                        Doesn't your local hifi shop have speakers way more expensive?

Thanks for the enlightenment on box customization, Jim, btw.
                        theres really no local dealers for a good 45min away havent convinced my mom to drive me i just turned 17

is there like any site were you can put in your address and find a hi end audio dealer close the only dealer i know of is GA home theater which is mainly B&W

Comment

• AdelaaR
                          • Dec 2010

Sorry but I'm in belgium and distances are incomparable here.
                          Within 45 minutes there are probably over a hundred specialized hifi shops around here.
                          If you've never heard a high-end speaker it might be a good idea to go and listen to some of them before making any decisions and buying anything.
                          One should be informed before one makes a purchase and tastes differ.
                          B&W is nice btw ... I recently heard a B&W MT-30 surround set at one of my cutomer's houses and I must admit that for a set of such tiny little speakers they sounded pretty fine

Comment

• yelnatsch517
                            • Apr 2011

Dave S.

Sorry for the off topic, but did you happen to see my post on AVS? I'm just wondering if it's a coincidence that I posted about Evolution Acoustic speakers a few days ago in a Statements thread and then I see this pop up.

Comment

• DAVE.S
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by yelnatsch517
                              Dave S.

Sorry for the off topic, but did you happen to see my post on AVS? I'm just wondering if it's a coincidence that I posted about Evolution Acoustic speakers a few days ago in a Statements thread and then I see this pop up.
                              actually yes i did follow that thread to page 6 but even before them i comteplated building the statements like the evos i was ''shocked'' too about the coincidence
                              Last edited by DAVE.S; 16 April 2011, 01:50 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"