X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randal
    • Apr 2011

Which one best DIY Speaker ever made

I want to build tower speakers. I heard a lot of good thing about Statement Speakers.
    Also I kind of like maxx line up speaker (tower) for the size
    I want to know which one DIY tower speaker that is worth to built (my concern is just the quality and SIZE)
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Probably the ones that end up in YOUR listening room.

So far you're looking at great designs. My guess is that the stuff you find posted here will consistently find itself on any list of "best DIY designs" no matter which you pick.

What kind of space (room) are you working with? How 'bout budget? Electronics? All those things play a role in fine tuning your choice.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• DAVE.S
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by randal
      I want to build tower speakers. I heard a lot of good thing about Statement Speakers.
      Also I kind of like maxx line up speaker (tower) for the size
      I want to know which one DIY tower speaker that is worth to built (my concern is just the quality and SIZE)
      thier both very worhty of you building them heck even for a few grand thought ive never heard or seen the maxx line speaker tower but i have the statements and boy will the statements seduce you into sleep i mean that in the very best of ways you know when your mom use to sing you to sleep and her voice was just ever so soothing? ill let others coment on the maxx but well have to know your romm size and requirements

Comment

• randal
        • Apr 2011

dave, yes I am falling in love with Statement (I already heard it from one of HT guide member here) but the problem is the size.
        My room around 13x13 and my eq Rotel CD, Dynaco St 70, regular Pre-amp (planning to built tube one)
        Mainly for music not HT (pop, jazz, blues etc no rock and roll)
        Personally I am still debating between Statement and Lineup Maxx (https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27584)
        I never heard about lineup maxx tower but I like the size. (Again I know that this one cost more compare with Statement)
        this will replace my B&W 800 series
        Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 16:17 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

One trouble is the room the Statements need - I'm not sure your space will adequately support that.

Perhaps one of the smaller Statements would work for you.
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• zacjones
            • Mar 2007

I've heard nothing but good things about the Clearwave Dynamic 4T series. There are also many successful variations on the design so you can almost always find a set that will work for you. They will likely be my next project.

Comment

• randal
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by zacjones
              I've heard nothing but good things about the Clearwave Dynamic 4T series. There are also many successful variations on the design so you can almost always find a set that will work for you. They will likely be my next project.
              Sorry for the confusion, this is the one that I am looking for
              Pls see picture below

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2672
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	855904

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	2346
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	855905

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	2238
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	855906
              Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 16:38 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• djg
                • May 2008

That speaker is from Jeds original line of designs, before he went into business as Clearwave. I don't recall seeing a build thread here for that one. I don't know if anyone built it besides Jed. There was a build thread on a similar design using 4 TangBand woofers. That builder was very happy with his build, IIRC.

Comment

• randal
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by djg
                  That speaker is from Jeds original line of designs, before he went into business as Clearwave. I don't recall seeing a build thread here for that one. I don't know if anyone built it besides Jed. There was a build thread on a similar design using 4 TangBand woofers. That builder was very happy with his build, IIRC.
                  Can you pls let me know which thread was it?

Comment

• speakerman19422
                    • Feb 2010

Fried Products had some of the most acoustically correct transmission line speaker kits. Unfortunately they are no longer available. Many people still make clones.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2007

Can you pls let me know which thread was it?
                      It's in Jed's Lineup Max thread. I think the info you're looking for is in these two posts:

Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 16:18 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url
                      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yeah that was the seas version of the Maxx I believe? I built the regular Maxx's with the 4 TB drivers and it was very good, the seas one is supposed to be a good bit better but I never got a chance to listen to it. Of course they aren't really on the budget side? You could be getting close to the cost of the Dynamic 2T's or 4T's (4t's are my current speakers and the favorite DIY speakers I've experienced so far).

There are tons of fantastic designs here though! Many of them I would say are contenders for best. Really it comes down to what you want to spend though and how difficult of a design you feel comfortable building.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"