X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hawkson
    • Apr 2011

Advice for HT 5.2 Setup, Sourcing Parts from China

Hi,
    I will be sourcing all of my parts from China. I am currently living in Shanghai and couldn't bring my commercial Axiom M60's + HSU sub to Shanghai without extremely high 20% import tax(600$ just to import my own equipment, talk about unfair trade) and 400$ shipping.

My focus is 100% HT, my room is 15 x 17. I think I want to go with 2 subwoofers because I like bass.

I have no wife. I am watching movies on a big projector about 14 feet away. I have access to parts made in China. My budget is under 1000 or 1500$ for everything including wood, drivers, paint, etc. I can do towers for LR or wall mounted LR. I will be using HTPC as pre Amp. I have yet to buy an AMP

I need help with the following
    1. Should I go with 5 3 way speakers, OR 2 way for Surround+3 way for LCR 2. For movies, is MTM or WTM better for 3 way?
    2. 1 super expensive bass or 2 bass speakers?
    3. Any advice? Parts express isn't in China, but I know the Parts are.
    4. What designs do you recommend for HT.
    5. How do you recommend I split the budget between 6/7 speakers?
    6. What is the difference in expected quality between 1000$ and 1500$ for HT DIY?

After I have more direction I'll have more questoins.

Thanks!
  • Generic George
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hawkson
    1. Should I go with 5 3 way speakers, OR 2 way for Surround+3 way for LCR
    There is generally very little reason to have full range speakers for your surrounds. There simply isn't that much information, especially low frequencies and it adds substantially to the costs. So two 3 ways for your main and possibly the center channel is what's recommended.

2. For movies, is MTM or WTM better for 3 way?
    MTMs are not 3 ways, at most 2.5. The "N-way"s basically refers to how you are dividing up the frequencies handled by your drivers. A Mid-Tweeter-Mid is only handling mid and high ranges. So it's a 2 way. With a TMW, you're adding a woofer to handle low frequencies so that's a 3 way. Two ways are generally much simpler and cheaper than 3 ways, but obviously that depends on what parts you are using.

2. 1 super expensive bass or 2 bass speakers?
    Are you asking about woofers on a speaker or subwoofers? Multiple drivers on a speaker get you greater efficiency (3db every time you double the #of drivers) and greater power handling. But generally require a larger speaker volume.

Multiple subs have some similar advantages, but also come with a higher cost (two cabinets, amps, etc...). They can however even out the bass response in a room and help with nulls in the response.

Also 1 super expensive vs 2 moderately priced, is very much down to the parts and the price. Keep in mind the old adage "The last 10% costs 90% more". Some parts are significantly more capable, but a lot of it also comes down to the designs you build. If you have a lot of room, then you can build a bigger sub with higher performance at a lower cost.

3. Any advice? Parts express isn't in China, but I know the Parts are.
    4. What designs do you recommend for HT.
    Yes, but the question is what can you find or get. I would find some sources and then find some designs that you can build from what you can get. There's a mission accomplished section in these boards with a substantial number of proven designs.

I'm building some bookshelf speakers from this guy's designs.

5. How do you recommend I split the budget between 6/7 speakers?
    Given your budget, I would only go with a 5.1 system. A good subwoofer can run you 1/2 to 1/3 of your budget and the more speakers you have the more money you have to spend on things like cabinets, wiring etc...

There simply isn't that much of an advantage to going with a 6 or 7 channel system. The surround sound mixes are mostly 5.1 and it's really only on some blu ray disks that you will get a 7.1 mix and not on a lot of those.

6. What is the difference in expected quality between 1000$ and 1500$ for HT DIY?
    There is no good way to answer that question, since a lot of it comes down to the designs you build and how well they suit your listening space.

You can easily blow that difference, just on cabinets for example.

If I had to estimate, I'd say that's the difference between a base line sub and a moderately good sub + 3 way mains vs 2 way mains.

Comment

• Undefinition
      • Dec 2006

While many things are manufactured in China, I don't necessarily think it will be easy for you to purchase them there. In other words, have you found an actual vendor of speaker drivers in China?
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
      Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Silver1omo
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Undefinition
        While many things are manufactured in China, I don't necessarily think it will be easy for you to purchase them there. In other words, have you found an actual vendor of speaker drivers in China?
        +1 and also you need a reputable vendor. We all know China is in the knock off/piracy royalty right next to Russia and Mexico...
        Ivan.
        My Statement monitors

Comment

• hawkson
          • Apr 2011

I am still looking. Its harder than I expected.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"