X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • igy137
    • Jan 2008

Measuring far field vs. near field + bafflestep

Hi,

I'm a bit lost during measurements, please help.
    I did some far field ground plane measurements and also near field measurements.

I tried to align the two graphs, applying calculated baffle step to near field.
    They actually match quite well up to 2-3khz, ignoring some dips (like ~1050Hz) in the near field graphs, which seems to be at box width or so. I guess that might do for crossover design.

However, the phase is not that clear. If I adjust delay to match somewhere, it soon goes different.

The far-field measurement was gated to 4ms or so, so probably this is the reason of mismatch below 250hz? .. in this case which one should I use for crossover sim?

Also, for the mid, levels do not line up nicely, either range 100-700Hz is ok or range 700-3k. Could this be due to baffle step simulation problem or is this more a measurement issue?

Sorry if all this is too stupid
    Attached Files
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

If you are merging multiple data collection points you MUST work in a minimum phase model, which means getting exact z-axis information and entering that into your simulation software.

The alternative is to use gated measurements where you measure every driver without moving anything at all in the setup, so the phase is exactly right. Doing this means you need a clear picture of exactly where your data starts to fall apart as far as frequency response, and a low crossover point in a 3-way can make it really tough to get usable data.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cjd
      The alternative is to use gated measurements where you measure every driver without moving anything at all in the setup, so the phase is exactly right. Doing this means you need a clear picture of exactly where your data starts to fall apart as far as frequency response, and a low crossover point in a 3-way can make it really tough to get usable data.

C
      I'd like to emphasize the last part with this method. IMO, using this method if the woofer's crossover point is at, or above baffle step it's not as bad. If you have some bass traps or insulation, lay them down on the floor between the speaker and mic as it will help remove floor bounce from your readings.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• igy137
        • Jan 2008

Thanks guys, I go back and check that Z-axis to be sure.
        I guess the 2nd method would not really work for me, as I plan to cross somewhere around 250-300 Hz should be below baffle step with my 32cm wide baffle.

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

How are you getting to a minimum phase model? (What software?)
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"