X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DAVE.S
    • Jan 2010

statements problem

i was playing this song

This is track #14 from the Halo Soundtrack CDFuturama fans please check out www.FuturamaFF.com for a big forum :)

at refrence level ( -0 db ) on my onkyo everything was good i was shaking everything in the house when about 30sec in i heard somthing rattle violently i thought and sounded exactly like something fell from atop the statements and just started vibrating on the floor so i kept it running for about 8sec before i realised it was the speaker more specifly the rs225-s on one of the statements i unscrewd the drivers and nothing seems to be wrong the woofer only has problems and sounds perfecly fine until i push it pash -30 db on the onkyo

NOTE the onkyo is being used as a DAC and i am using emotiva upa-1 amps
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

it's easy to get something lodged around the phase plug of the daytons. i had a similar rattling problem with mine and it turned out to be just that. you might want to gently but deeply push in the woofer cone and check if theres anything scraping inside. with mine i just went for the last resort of using the vacuum cleaner and it actually worked.

Comment

• john trials
      • Mar 2009

I had the same problem coconutout mentioned. I had to clean out the phase plug area on 2 drivers. I used compressed air while the speaker was running a 20Hz test tone.

Another problem I had (sounds similar to yours): I was cranking my system very loudly one day. Things were fine until about a minute into a song, and then things sounded disastrous (I can't recall the specific sound...but it was awful!). The problem was one of the RCA plugs (between the CD player and amp) was slightly corroded, and there must have been a bad connection. I twisted all of the connectors, and the problem went away. I'm not sure why the noise only occurred at very high volume levels, and only after about a minute of playing at those high levels.

Edit: here is my thread regarding my noise problem. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=219819
      Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• AdelaaR
        • Dec 2010

I'm sensing the underlying morale of these stories:
        "do not play your speakers at their max level"

Comment

• 5th element
          Supreme Being Moderator
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by AdelaaR
          I'm sensing the underlying morale of these stories:
          "do not play your speakers at their max level"
          That's like saying don't turn the hose on full blast because the hole in hose pipe will start to leak. Replace the hose pipe and be done with it, etc.

If there's grit in the gap the only thing for it is to remove it.
          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
          5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
          Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• DAVE.S
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Coconutout
            it's easy to get something lodged around the phase plug of the daytons. i had a similar rattling problem with mine and it turned out to be just that. you might want to gently but deeply push in the woofer cone and check if theres anything scraping inside. with mine i just went for the last resort of using the vacuum cleaner and it actually worked.
            yeah whenever i press the cone down theres like a scraping sound inside

Comment

• fbov
              • Jun 2008

That's likely the bit of grit you hear, if it's not bubbles on the lacquer that used to hold the voice coil together. Depending on motor design (short gap, tall coil), the issue is not evident at low power because the damaged area is not in the gap.

If you can do an impedence sweep, comparing known good against suspect drivers, changes in coil geometry will show up as differences in the curve while grit in the gap will not.

Fingers crossed that it's grit...
              Frank

Comment

• BOBinGA
                • Mar 2009

Replace the woofer. If it wasn't making noise before you played it very loud, it's likely you burned the voice coil. You probably only burned it enough to cause it to start unraveling, but not enough to cause it to open completely. You can certainly try to suck out any debris, but from your description, you fried it. Check the other woofers as well. They could be damaged, too. Sorry. At least now you know its limits.

-Bob

p.s. PE has a good replacement policy. If none of the others were damaged, and there is no visible burning of the speaker lead in wires, they will usually replace it under warranty. (Guess how I found out. ) They will likely replace it with a new unshielded RS-225, but the difference is only half a db. You will never hear a difference.
                -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• DAVE.S
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BOBinGA
                  Replace the woofer. If it wasn't making noise before you played it very loud, it's likely you burned the voice coil. You probably only burned it enough to cause it to start unraveling, but not enough to cause it to open completely. You can certainly try to suck out any debris, but from your description, you fried it. Check the other woofers as well. They could be damaged, too. Sorry. At least now you know its limits.

-Bob

p.s. PE has a good replacement policy. If none of the others were damaged, and there is no visible burning of the speaker lead in wires, they will usually replace it under warranty. (Guess how I found out. ) They will likely replace it with a new unshielded RS-225, but the difference is only half a db. You will never hear a difference.
                  this sounds great i will never hear a diffrence? really that would be amazing i already have a replacement on the way ( i ordered one ) guess ill go ahead and see what they say ill just put the extra woofer towards the 2rcc

Comment

• AdelaaR
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by 5th element
                    That's like saying don't turn the hose on full blast because the hole in hose pipe will start to leak. Replace the hose pipe and be done with it, etc.

If there's grit in the gap the only thing for it is to remove it.
                    It's more like saying:

"better not to drive your car's engine at it's max RPM"

Comment

• 5th element
                      Supreme Being Moderator
                      • Sep 2009

By maximum I am referring to a safe maximum.

No one should want to drive anything beyond it's safe operating maximum. And by safe I am of course referring to a repeatable maximum that the device can cope with all day long.
                      What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                      5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                      Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                        • Dec 2010

That song surely has a lot of deep bass

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Subwoofers are good for preventing this type of damage.
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• DAVE.S
                            • Jan 2010

bobinga

check your pm box

Comment

• DAVE.S
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ---k---
                              Subwoofers are good for preventing this type of damage.
                              yeah i am thinking of a rythmik or a dayton 15 inch refrence sub

Comment

• DeathMonk
                                • Jun 2008

I had this problem (twice). Both times the voice coil separated from the spider. The glue joint holding the two together has been sketchy on these woofers.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Considering how many different designs use RS225's as woofers and the total number of speakers built, which easily numbers in the several hundred, I won't call them fragile. I would suggest that folks who like extremely loud bass heavy music and movies, invest in a sub and an active crossover that will roll out the RS225's around 40Hz - 50 Hz. Mid bass is where RS225's really shine. House shakin' chest thumpin bass is what subs are built for.

My $.02 worth....

Jim

Comment

• DeathMonk
                                    • Jun 2008

Still, the glue joint should hold past something like voice coil damage.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                      • Dec 2010

I agree with Jim ... 8 inch woofers aren't supposed to shake your house.

Comment

• DAVE.S
                                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by AdelaaR
                                        I agree with Jim ... 8 inch woofers aren't supposed to shake your house.
                                        yes i know i kinda wished they did but its only an 8 inch woofer i pushed it too hard hopefully a sub comes soon

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                          • Dec 2010

Bring on the sub!

I don't have a sub yet either ... still contemplating and weighing the possible compromises and advantages.

Comment

• Coconutout
                                            • Oct 2006

just keep your speakers and area around them clean. respect them! . and john, your idea of cleaning out the phase plugs are much more sound than mine. lol i feel like reading your method for doing what i've done

Comment

• john trials
                                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Coconutout
                                              just keep your speakers and area around them clean. respect them! . and john, your idea of cleaning out the phase plugs are much more sound than mine. lol i feel like reading your method for doing what i've done
                                              My driver problems were due to something in the phase plug/voice coil area upon delivery (not due to my dirty work conditions ...I'm probably too careful with the drivers). I don't understand why Dayton doesn't wrap their drivers in a plastic bag before putting them in the shipping box. There is a lot of cardboard debris inside their shipping boxes. That's where my problem started.
                                              Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"