X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tavaftw
    • Jan 2011

How to test my statements?

Thanks to Jim , Curt, all the statement's fans and their fantastic works, my full statement was built up yesterday. It took me 3 weeks and maybe another 2 weeks to finish it up with glossy black.

But because I don't have a pair of experienced ears, I can not tell if it sounds correct although I am totally satisfied. My question is how can I measure the sound? I think maybe only the measurement chart can tell me that I set up the correct cross over.

All I have are a desktop, a laptop, a sound blast live 5.1 card and a Logi microphone for web facing. Can anyone give me a general description what I should do to make a simple measurement, similar to Curt's response chart?

Thanks in advance.
  • fbov
    • Jun 2008

To measure FR, I got this

and this, to power the mic and feed my sound card

and use this software
    Optoma Service and Support, Tips, and Discussion Forum.

Caveat: acoustic measurements are a specialty all to themselves. PE has a video on it, and Ed Froste did a step-by-step How-To-DIY that includes measurements.

Don't expect Curt's response curve in your listening position!!!

Have fun,
    Frank

Comment

• DAVE.S
      • Jan 2010

plus 1
      your not going to get a graph that looks like curts do to room interactions but if you did everything you were told everything should be working at optimal performance

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

You can use this (freeware) http://www.holmacoustics.com/holmimpulse.php to measure your speakers. As Dave said, don't expect to see exactly the same as Curt's measurements without a calibrated mike, but look for glaring errors like big dips at the crossover frequencies.

Chances are that if you were careful in assembling the crossover, and you like the sound you won't find any problems.

Comment

• AdelaaR
          • Dec 2010

Thanks for the links guys.
          I have yet to build my statements but I also would like to test them eventually.
          Is something like a typical condenser mic suited for the task?

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

You can get decent results using a WM61 based microphone, http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=P9925-ND and a preamp such as Linkwitz shows on his site. The capsule is typically flat enough in the crossover regions to give a good idea what is going on. You'll get better results using a calibrated mike, such as available from Herb Singleton at Cross Spectrum Labs.

I wouldn't try to design a speaker without a calibrated microphone, but for a rough check almost any inexpensive condenser mike will be close enough.

Comment

• AdelaaR
              • Dec 2010

Thanks ... I do not design speakers so an actual calibrated measurement microphone is out of my league.
              I do however already have a simple relatively inexpensive samson condenser microphone which should be good at picking up the high frequencies especially.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"