Anyone build a 2-way with Neopro5i + Accuton 6.5"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • penngray
    • Sep 2007

Anyone build a 2-way with Neopro5i + Accuton 6.5"?

I always have wanted to hear the accutons and I have left over Neopro5i ribbon tweeters.

Maybe the Accuton C173-6-096 or C173-6-191

SPL really is not important so I can lower the Neopro5i to whatever matches.
  • Rick Craig
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by penngray
    I always have wanted to hear the accutons and I have left over Neopro5i ribbon tweeters.

Maybe the Accuton C173-6-096 or C173-6-191

SPL really is not important so I can lower the Neopro5i to whatever matches.
    The Pro5 is really much better suited to line arrays. The vertical dispersion is pretty limited for a standard 2-way.

Comment

• penngray
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Rick Craig
      The Pro5 is really much better suited to line arrays. The vertical dispersion is pretty limited for a standard 2-way.
      Thanks but I have used them succesfully in a 3-way design for years. Curt C. built some nice XOs for that design too. It was a Neopro5i/PHL1120/TD12M design.

I Do not need a discussion about the tweeter just looking for anyone with a current design. I have extras and I want to match it with a very nice woofer. Vertical dispertion is fine when you are always at a constant height (ie sitting). This is just a fun speaker and will not be in my HT room (I have waveguide designs now), just my office.

Its also just about listening to the accuton driver, nothing more.

Comment

• Bear
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2008

I'd love to see someone do another Accuton build, so call this the "yeah, go get 'em!" post. That being said, the '096 looks like it's a pretty special (i.e., Accuton-quality) driver. The '191 skeeves me out for Accuton pricing given that spike in third order distortion between 650 - 1,500 Hz. It may be much ado about nothing, but that could also be something rotten (not) in Denmark.

I fantasize about doing a two-way with the S220-6-222, but I've got an alternate project that is looking like it will be sucking me dry for the foreseeable future. Vicarious Accuton experiences for me!
        Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• penngray
          • Sep 2007

I know Jed (Clearwave) and Craig (Selah audio) have used Accuton's with great success with higher end ribbon choices, both build incredible looking and sound designs using them. I wish I could hear them but I doubt that will ever happen.

I do love my Neopro5i ribbons, I have not enjoy any other tweeter the same way. I bought many originally (great discount) to build a 7 speaker setup for my HT room but that all changed with my waveguide experience (Dynamics rule in HT).

Thank you for the post with your thoughts on the different models. I did see the 3rd order distortion measurement on Madisound for the 191 and it was very different then the 096.

I do search weekly for used Accutons to maybe save some $$$ but no luck so far (I understand why too).

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"