X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marvin
    • Nov 2007

Modula MT efficiency? Tweak?

Does anyone know the efficiency of the Modula MT with Seas TDFC tweeter? I know they are not very efficient, just curious if a number has ever been mentioned.

Also, how does one go about tweaking the high end? I sometimes wish was it a little brighter. I am afraid that tweaking any one component may affect the entire system.

Thanks,
    Marvin
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

From the Modula thread.......

You may need or want to trim the value of R3 slightly to get the best balance; use 4 ohms for a little more overall highs and presence, 6-8 ohms to reduce high frequencies and presence range.
    Last edited by ThomasW; 22 March 2011, 17:55 Tuesday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Marvin
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
      From the Modual thread.......
      Thanks, Thomas, you saved me a lot of searching time.

I have a couple of 3ohms on hand that I will try at least temporarily. Do you think there is any risk to the components in testing with the 3 ohm?

Marv

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

No just keep the playback levels sane while you test

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Marvin
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
          No just keep the playback levels sane while you test
          I tested the 3 ohm today. It makes an obvious difference, but perhaps just a tad too much. I suspect the 4 ohm may suit my taste, but just in case, I ordered pairs of 4, 5, and 6 ohms from PE.

Hate place such a small order with PE, but my budget is limited lately. PE's reduced shipping rate for small items does help, though.

Thanks again for your reply. It was very helpful.

Marv

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

FWIW sensitivity is limited by the mid-woofer in this design. I'd guess 82dB@1w/1m...
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Marvin
              • Nov 2007

Looonnng time no, see, Chris. Will there ever be another DIY Chicago?

Thanks for the guesstimate, too. 82db sounds about right. Whatever I build next will be more efficient.

Marv

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Marvin
                Looonnng time no, see, Chris. Will there ever be another DIY Chicago?
                That sounds like a good idea - handling the logistics is the hard part (venue, scheduling) - I already said I'd emcee the next one and stand by that.
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Marvin
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                  That sounds like a good idea - handling the logistics is the hard part (venue, scheduling) - I already said I'd emcee the next one and stand by that.
                  C,

You may have an opportunity this year.......Doug P is bowing out of organizing DIY Iowa this year. Paul Carmody suggested Chicago but needs help. Maybe some of the group can work together on the event.
                  Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

You're near Gurnee, correct? I believe Paul is near Rolling Meadows, I am far south side.
                  Marv

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"