X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike82
    • Mar 2009

What to use to measure amps THD?

I was looking to test my amps THD and was wondering what type of hardware would I need to do this. Any ideas?
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

This would not be an inconsiderable undertaking if you want to do it well. You want a stable resistive load and an oscilloscope.
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

This thread shows how Chuck did his testing:
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• 5th element
        Supreme Being Moderator
        • Sep 2009

A high performance sound card + ARTA and a resistive load are all you really need.

You can typically measure to 0.0003-5% if you use the full input bandwidth of good modern sound cards.

Something like this

is all that's required for the load. I've got 4 of them mounted on a heatsink, this way I get 9.4, 4.7, 2.35 and 1.18 ohm loads at enough power rating for some pretty serious powers.
        What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
        5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
        Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• mazurek
          • Mar 2006

You have to be careful about the voltage levels, but you can even use a resistive divider into a sound card input.

Comment

• 5th element
            Supreme Being Moderator
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mazurek
            You have to be careful about the voltage levels, but you can even use a resistive divider into a sound card input.
            Indeed, this is what I do, luckily if I did manage to fry the input of the sound card I'd be able to replace whatever had blown up.
            What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• Dr.EM
              • Mar 2010

This may be misguided but I would assume that by using a PC based measurement set-up it'd be possible to attain the distortion profile of the soundcard by taking a measurement of itself linked back to its own inputs. Then by using this as a calibration file one could null any inherent distortion, thus giving even more low-level measurement resolution.

Possible? Necessary? I don't know, it seems possible, at least for taking measurements at just 1kHz for example.

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dr.EM
                This may be misguided but I would assume that by using a PC based measurement set-up it'd be possible to attain the distortion profile of the soundcard by taking a measurement of itself linked back to its own inputs. Then by using this as a calibration file one could null any inherent distortion, thus giving even more low-level measurement resolution.

Possible? Necessary? I don't know, it seems possible, at least for taking measurements at just 1kHz for example.
                Indeed I have seen this done in one of the Hifi News magazines I've got. They use a Lynx sound card for that and modify the test signal to cancel out the effect of the sound card itself. The only trouble I can see with this is at the distortion levels we're talking about, you only need an extremely small deviation of error within the modified test signal to completely botch things up.

Of course I am talking about turning 0.0003% into something considerably smaller, here there might not be much real benefit from such a thing, but if your system was working to something like 0.005%, improving this to 0.0003% would certainly be beneficial.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"