X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mtbboyz
    • Mar 2011

Completed OS MTM towers

I've lurked here as a guest for a few years consuming information and enjoying the amazing collection of knowledge and resources. I've built a few speakers for myself, but nothing worth sharing here. Recently a friend asked me to help him in his quest for audio nirvana. With his limited budget and small apartment space, we decided that the Overnight Sensation MTM's combined with a Dayton T-amp would hit the sweet spot. The beauty of this cost saving set up is the simplicity of the T-amp plugged into the headphone out on the TV allowing use of the TV remote to control volume. We also determined that a narrow tower design would be a great fit for his environment. Cherry veneer was chosen because it was one of the cheapest paper backed varieties at the time of purchase and also it's characteristic red tint was predicted to be a decent match for the bronze colored B4N. Paul's directions for the build were followed except for adding additional size to the cabinet. A shelf was used to divide the lower compartment of the tower from the top. The bottom was filled partially with sand for stability and to give a total weight around 40lbs per speaker. The finish was very simple, sanded to 400 grit, 1 coat of Minwax Red Chestnut stain, and finally 4 coats of Minwax spray on clear satin polyurethane. The results are a joy to listen to and fit the bill perfectly. This is my second Paul Carmody designed build and I'm a big fan!! Thank you Paul for sharing you wonderful designs. ;x(
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mtbboyz; 07 March 2011, 22:28 Monday. Reason: Formatting
  • Mtbboyz
    • Mar 2011

More pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

• blue934
      • Mar 2008

most excellent job!

david

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Really nice work !! How do they sound??
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Mtbboyz
          • Mar 2011

They sound great. I have very little to reference them against, but I will say that they have the character of the overnight sensations with much bigger sound. I could gush on and on with superlatives but I really don't have enough experience to provide much of a useful evaluation. My friend and I both enjoy them and we can agree that they sound significantly better than anything that he was considering from Best Buy. My friend has been bitten hard by the speaker bug and is frantically saving his pennies in hopes of completing a 5.1 setup in the near future!

Comment

• Undefinition
            • Dec 2006

Oh hellz yeah! You nailed it. Those look great. I'll definitely be putting some of these pictures on my site.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
            Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Those look great. :T
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• FlashJim
                • Apr 2006

Beautiful speakers!
                Jim

Comment

• richnen
                  • Jul 2010

Very nice build. :T
                  Seas Idunn
                  ZA5.2
                  ZA5.3CC
                  SB Acoustics 12" sub
                  Statement Monitors
                  CLD M5B

Comment

• Mtbboyz
                    • Mar 2011

Thanks all

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Paul, we'd be honored to have pictures posted on your site, let me know if you want any larger files since the limits here are a bit small.

Comment

• Hunter12
                      • Jan 2011

Superb, Totem Arrow/Staff's on steriods. On Paul's site he talked about making
                      the ONS MTM's as sticks, I gave this a lot of thought but got distracted with numerous
                      other speakers he has and have been busy living in my head for months. Like they
                      say there is "magic in action" which you have executed with great skill. The speaker
                      size is very well balanced with it's surroundings, well done.

Comment

• Pete00t
                        • Apr 2010

Those are nice work. They show Paul's OS's can even work well as slim towers. Like mentioned above they remind me of the Totem. Fractions of the cost and just as good looking. Though i like your color choice better. Are you also going to post them in Parts Express Gallery? I'm sure more people would like to see them in this application.

Comment

• Mtbboyz
                          • Mar 2011

Partsexpress Board

I could definitely post these on the PE board if you think it would be appreciated. I'll make an account there tonight.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"