X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outfitter
    • Apr 2006

Zaph ZA5.3 Port tuning and crossover questions

Hey guys, looking for a little advice. I am building the ZA5.3 MTM from Madisound and would like to utilize the smaller vented option of 7 liters. On Zaph's website he compares the 7 liter tuned to 52 Hz or 65 Hz and the standard 10 liter enclosure. What should the port length be for each option? I am building the center version which has two 1.5" ports. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Outfitter; 08 March 2011, 21:30 Tuesday.
  • Outfitter
    • Apr 2006

Ok. let me try this question. If I have an enclosure that is the same size in both scenarios would the port length be different for a 52Hz vs a 65Hz tuning?

Comment

• fbov
      • Jun 2008

Must be a quiet weekend... or a busy one.

Zaph usually document everything quite well, so I bet port length is there. Quite likely that the smaller box tunes that little bit higher with the same port length/diam/number.

Tuning varies with both box size and port length/diam/number. All else being equal, 65Hz needs a shorter port than 52Hz, or a larger box.

Comment

• jkrutke
        • Dec 2005

Actually, I don't really go into too much detail on port tuning because it's easy enough for anyone to figure out on their own.

My advice to anyone trying to figure out their port sizes on their own with any of the port calculation programs: Don't agonize over minor tuning differences of 1 or 2 hz or lengths down to 1/8 of an inch accuracy. Just get close.

In the ZA5.3c with 10 liters per woofer, 52 hz x 1.5" will be about 4" long. A pair of Goldwood PT-F415 1.5" x 4" flared ports (one per woofer) is perfect for that with no modification. (the port is actually about 1.6" dia on average)

Likewise in 7 liters per woofer, the same port will conveniently tune to about 65 hz. (not coincidence) However, if you want to do 52 hz in a 7 liter, the port will need to be roughly 6.5" long. get 4 of the Goldwood ports, cut them to half that length and epoxy or tape them end to end. Two halves per woofer. Tape is preferred for ease of installation, and stronger than you would think.
        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Outfitter
          • Apr 2006

Awesome, thanks for jumping in John. I am really impressed with those woofers, I completed a test box to try out a few different options and have used sealed as my center channel, they are fantastic! Voices are crystal clear, midrange is super smooth- best that I have heard. I've got to get focused and complete the L,R and redo the C- they're going to be great!

Comment

• Outfitter
            • Apr 2006

So, taking a closer look at the crossover for the ZA5.3 MTM that I received from Madisound, there is only one disconnect for the woofers on the crossover board, and 2 for the + input. Did they build the crossover wrong? I attached a link to the crossover, it looks like the woofers are wired in parallel, but the way they built the crossover it would indicate series. Any help deciphering?

Comment

• Outfitter
              • Apr 2006

Here is a pick of the assembled crossover-
              You can see that the common has 4 quick connects, + in has 2, the woofer has 1( next to the common and in the foreground), the + tweeter has 1,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

• Outfitter
                • Apr 2006

So I'm thinking that this was a mistake by Madisound and that the woofers should be wired in parallel? Is that correct? Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

• 707kevin
                  • Oct 2010

2 drivers can be wired to a single pair of hookups in series OR parallel.

Take another, close look at http://zaphaudio.com/ZA5/ZA5.3-crossover.gif. You only need one + and one - on the crossover to wire them up.

The drivers have 2 each (+ & -) to make the parallel hookup easy. Connect the two drivers + to + and - to - with a short length of wire.
                  Then connect ONE driver (either one - doesn't matter which - they're parallel) + & - to the xover + & -.

hope that helps!

Comment

• 707kevin
                    • Oct 2010

I am SO bored at work today
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Outfitter
                      • Apr 2006

That's great, thanks for doing that. I'm glad that you are bored at work too! That drawing helps tremendously, sometimes I feel like a moron when I ask these questions when the answer was that obvious in front of me.

Comment

• Hunter12
                        • Jan 2011

Hey Zaph,

Just want to thank you for your incredible website, I have read through it
                        dozens of times and learnt a huge amount.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"