X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phil82
    • Sep 2010

Cheap Line Array Project

Hey,

Now that I'm enjoying my mini-statements it's time for a new project. This time I'm cooking my own recipe

I just bought 40 Aurasound NS3-194-16A from Madisound and intend to use them in a line array.

The driver is a 3", 16 ohms, 82 dB.
    I intend to use 17 (yeah, odd number) of them in a tapered configuration.

Now, i calculated a few different wiring configurations and this one seems the best tradeoff for lower distortion and power handling. However, having never built a line array before and this combination being the only one that is odd numbered (all other are 16 drivers) I'd like to get some thoughts on this before i go through the pain of making 17 driver cutouts to finally end up using 16

My wiring configuration is 5-5-4-3: The two 5 series network are on the outside, the 3 series network is in the middle (at ear height) and the 4 series network has 2 drivers above the middle and 2 below.

Now, does any1 believe this could be too much power at the middle and give the array a near point source sound ? Or should i be more conservative and go with less power in the middle ?

Thanks
  • Rick Craig
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Phil82
    Hey,

Now that I'm enjoying my mini-statements it's time for a new project. This time I'm cooking my own recipe

I just bought 40 Aurasound NS3-194-16A from Madisound and intend to use them in a line array.

The driver is a 3", 16 ohms, 82 dB.
    I intend to use 17 (yeah, odd number) of them in a tapered configuration.

Now, i calculated a few different wiring configurations and this one seems the best tradeoff for lower distortion and power handling. However, having never built a line array before and this combination being the only one that is odd numbered (all other are 16 drivers) I'd like to get some thoughts on this before i go through the pain of making 17 driver cutouts to finally end up using 16

My wiring configuration is 5-5-4-3: The two 5 series network are on the outside, the 3 series network is in the middle (at ear height) and the 4 series network has 2 drivers above the middle and 2 below.

Now, does any1 believe this could be too much power at the middle and give the array a near point source sound ? Or should i be more conservative and go with less power in the middle ?

Thanks
    Are you running them full-range?

Comment

• Phil82
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Rick Craig
      Are you running them full-range?
      Almost

There will be a woofer in the mix, to relieve the small 3" in the lower bass region.
      Haven't found the right candidate yet though

Comment

• captainobvious
        • Mar 2011

Hmmm, interesting. Sounds like you're in the same boat with me. I ordered 32 of the NS3-193-8A1 (the ones with mega xmax) for a line array project that I'll be working on once I'm finished my current build. After listening to a single driver I realized I was going to need a tweeter array as well because they just didnt have enough high end response. So I snagged a few BG NEO8's.
        Good luck with your build!

Comment

• Rick Craig
          • Jul 2006

Almost

There will be a woofer in the mix, to relieve the small 3" in the lower bass region.
          Haven't found the right candidate yet though
          I would add tweeters and make it a 2-way and then add some subs.

Comment

• Phil82
            • Sep 2010

I'm hoping i can EQ the falling top end (at the cost of overall sensitivity) and not use tweeters.

I'll have to take some measurement before i can settle on that design choice though.

Adding tweeters would drive the price much higher than the current design goal, it's not out of the question, but i'll experiment a (near) fullrange setup 1st.

Comment

• Rick Craig
              • Jul 2006

I'm hoping i can EQ the falling top end (at the cost of overall sensitivity) and not use tweeters.

I'll have to take some measurement before i can settle on that design choice though.

Adding tweeters would drive the price much higher than the current design goal, it's not out of the question, but i'll experiment a (near) fullrange setup 1st.
              If you curve them and taper the output like a CBT that will give you the best performance.

Comment

• Phil82
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Rick Craig
                If you curve them and taper the output like a CBT that will give you the best performance.
                A very interesting concept, but pretty hard to build.
                I wonder if a polygon faced CBT array would give a close enough result.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"