X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tony_M
    • Nov 2010

Full range driver suggestion

My friend asking me about a full range driver for his room 10x12.
    He preferred small to medium floor standing
    Any suggestions in terms of

1. Size (should he go to 8, 10 or 12)
    2. Quality and sound
    3. He want to compare between FOSTEX vs Jordan vs Audio NIRVANA (never heard about this one)

Tks all. I did suggest him to build Mini Statement but he said a lot of work on crossover

cheers
  • tony_M
    • Nov 2010

any one???????????

Comment

• joeybutts
      • Sep 2009

A lot of work on crossover?? I can solder up a crossover in 20 min..... There is more time spent in building the cabinet for anything than building the crossover.....

Is there a budget to this project?

Comment

• 5th element
        Supreme Being Moderator
        • Sep 2009

Maybe he thought he'd be designing the crossover himself and that indeed would be a lot of work. However if the crossover is already designed by someone else, as Joey said, they are easy to construct.
        What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
        5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
        Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• ruseriousclark
          • Feb 2007

In no way do I intend for this to sound critical, but the manner in which you qualified your question, lends one to think your friend hasn't fully considered the contradictions within his requirements.

If he's concerned with the difficulty in assembling a completed design, namely the crossover, I'd wager he's far too green at DIY to fulfill the requirements of a well built enclosure specifically designed for a certain fullrange driver. These designs often require a complicated loading enclosure not nearly as simple as a sealed enclosure, or BR, (Although there are some, but none in the performance range of the Statements) in order to get the most out of the driver.

A full range single driver system will never perform to that of the Statements. To even sniff the performance of the Statements it will take a very technical and carefully constructed enclosure, which is FAR more difficult and tedious than following a completed crossover design.

Single driver systems will also not play nearly as loudly as multiple driver arrangements when played full range without distortion and breakups.

I've built several full range loudspeakers absent of notch filters or crossovers using only a full range driver. Having used several drivers smaller than those you've referenced, you can accomplish a very pleasant sounding loudspeaker, but the considerations in placement, cabinet construction, etc., are challenges that you will encounter.

Here's my suggestion. If you want a proven design, with excellent performance, etc. Learn to wire up a crossover and how to solder, then build the Statements.

If you just want to try entry level DIY, get two decent full range drivers and build the cabinets according to driver parameters in a simple sealed or BR design. You'll likely find the sound is adequate, but not breath taking. Again, to get the most from these driver types takes a very complicated, TL, back loaded horn and other designs.
          <-- Beware of Fluffy...He is the destroyer of Worlds!

Comment

• Bear
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2008

While there are some full-range drivers that can work and a community of people who love them (e.g., Nelson Pass), a full-range driver does not necessarily work without a filter (i.e., a "crossover"). If anything, getting equal performance out of a full-range driver may require more work in a filter to tame the peaks and valleys across the full audio spectrum than a good two-way design.
            Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
              • Sep 2009

The gentlemen above have summarized the main points. Building a pair of enclosures takes upwards of 30 hours of work (could be far more, though). Crossovers, however, don't take more than a couple of hours even for the larger more complicated ones (assuming you know how to solder).
              -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                • Dec 2010

Yeah ... what ruseriousclark said

Comment

• captainobvious
                  • Mar 2011

You and your friend may want to look into Wayne and Curt C's design with the Dayton PS220 here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...t=ps220+design

The "Singularities"

Very simple, and low part count.

They should be able to fill that size room with sound and would probably be even better paired with a small subwoofer. :T

Comment

• Curt C
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by captainobvious
                    The "Singularities"

Very simple, and low part count.

They should be able to fill that size room with sound and would probably be even better paired with a small subwoofer. :T
                    Yes they will, and The PS220 doesn't require much power to do so. As in any FR, for the best fidelity listening on axis is suggested.

C
                    Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• wushuliu
                      • Jun 2008

Along w/ Curt's Singularities, there are also the new gen Mark Audio full range drivers, like the Alpair 7, 10, or 12 (4", 5", 6"). You can use either the plans on Mark's site or any of the plans on Planet10. The Pensil series listed there are simple to build and the Mark Audio drivers are - in a word - amazing. None of the peakiness of typical FR drivers, no crazy peaks to tame. No filter or XO needed in most cases unless you need extra bsc. I built the double bass reflex with Alpair 12 and it was just as good if not better to my ears than the Modula MTM (provided you're not going for max SPLs).

[I loved my Modulas btw, no slight to Jon!]

Comment

• tony_M
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Curt C
                        Yes they will, and The PS220 doesn't require much power to do so. As in any FR, for the best fidelity listening on axis is suggested.

C
                        Curt, funny thing .... after he listened to my DIY Statement Speaker, he fell in love with it..... tks So much Jim and Curt ;x(

Comment

• Curt C
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by tony_M
                          Curt, funny thing .... after he listened to my DIY Statement Speaker, he fell in love with it..... tks So much Jim and Curt ;x(
                          I'm thinking a pair of Statements might be just a tiny bit of overkill in his room...

C
                          Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"