X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Spencer
    • Oct 2004

Waveguide project in progress

I'm starting to like this CNC thing. In one saturday, with a friend I went from this

to this ...

It isn't mine, but I'm helping so we can get it up and running for an upcoming waveguide shootout I'm hosting. Very keen to hear this one because I've been interested in these AE drivers for a while.

When we figure out how to cut the foam, there will be some retic foam added as well to see if it really does the job.

More pics and description here:
    This is a deluxe Econowave that I've been involved in building. This one belongs to Roger, one of a handfull of DIY enthusiasts that have b...

I can't comment on the sound yet, no chance to measure and set it up properly yet ... coming soon ...
    Audio Blog DIY projects, tutes and articles.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Probably going to be confusing having two projects named Econowave Deluxe....

I think I'll go and give those Barzilays another look when I get off work. I'm not 100% thats what they are, but they have the same grills and look like them. Can I expect these to go lower than the New Large Advent woofers? Right now they don't. I didn't catch the passive step...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul Spencer
      • Oct 2004

I'm not sure if this will end up with a passive crossover, but the idea is to be a deluxe version of an Econowave style speaker. It's not really the Econowave Deluxe kit, just one of many variations on the Econowave concept.

Comment

• Biermann
        • Aug 2009

Looks good, I have been tempted to build nearly that exact speaker for a while.

Is that a Faital Pro phase plug I see in there. Any reason for the choice? I am still waiting for somebody to actually use the 18Sound NSD1095 since it was designed for this WG, or vice-versa.

Comment

• Paul Spencer
          • Oct 2004

Eighteen Sound XT1086 waveguide & Faital Pro HF10TX compression driver. It's Antripodean's not mine, but I think the choice was part curiosity, and partly because he felt it would be a good driver. I have to say it's worked out pretty well.

I suspect a lot of compression drivers are not much different and that a lot of their sound is dominated by the waveguide and the crossover used. Of course, I'd avoid cheapies and titanium. B&C DE250 is my favourite at the moment. The BMS is an interesting one as well due to it's very high efficiency, although there is more work to get it flat with EQ.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"