X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tony_M
    • Nov 2010

Tube amp to drive Statement??

Dear All,

Do you know any good Tube Amp to drive Statement Speakers??

I am looking for DIY. Pls let me know the link....

tks a lot
  • AdelaaR
    • Dec 2010

Isn't it weird for a speaker as accurate and distortion free as the statements to use an unacurate and distorted tube amp when you can use a superior and cheaper transistor amp?
    Just my two cents ... if you like the sound of tube amps you should definately get one.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by AdelaaR
      Isn't it weird for a speaker as accurate and distortion free as the statements to use an unacurate and distorted tube amp when you can use a superior and cheaper transistor amp?
      Just my two cents ... if you like the sound of tube amps you should definately get one.
      If you have something constructive to add to the conversation by all means do so, otherwise let's not waste bandwidth....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

The only tube amp kits that I know of that might drive the Statements well are the Velleman kits. Kind of pricey, and I haven't ever built one. But I've heard they are good amps.

Stereo amp -
        Need vacuum tubes? Want to build your own amplifier? Have an unhealthy HiFi obsession? We've got you covered.

Mono block amp -
        Need vacuum tubes? Want to build your own amplifier? Have an unhealthy HiFi obsession? We've got you covered.

Though I'm sure there are other good ones out there. Just be sure it will drive a 4 ohm load and has decent power. I think the Statements are 4 ohms nominal.
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

This one looks interesting, and doesn't cost much. Only puts out 20 - 24 watts thought. Might work if you don't play it very loud.

Design and construction of a pair of push-pull class-A, Ultra-Linear Mono Block Tube Amplifiers that can be used with several different power vacuum tubes including EL34, KT77, 6L6GC, 6550, KT88, KT90.
          John unk:

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Johnloudb
            This one looks interesting, and doesn't cost much. Only puts out 20 - 24 watts thought. Might work if you don't play it very loud.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/KT...Pull-Tube-Amp/
            Volume wouldn't be an issue, only the lack of dynamics.
            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Coconutout
              • Oct 2006

I've tried 3 different tube amps with my pair. mingda mc34ab was the only one powerful enough to not make me earn for SS dynamics. The amp has a separate power supply for that effect. It's whooping 75W per channel. However the model has a toxic off-gas issue like most of the chinese gears...

The statements (monitors in my case) can be driven by even a SET amp without much significant hampering in the dynamics while letting the full glory of 300b tubes to come through. And an el84 amp sounded every bit as powerful as an onkyo ht receiver (that's probably not saying much though..)

Comment

• skippyboy
                • Jul 2008

This might be the ticket, and is available as DIY as well.
                The Beast

Comment

• Winter
                  • Nov 2007

If you would consider a solid state amp that sounds like a tube amp, you may want to look at the Aspen Amplifiers line (AKSA) with a new modular kit for a NASKA 70 (70 watt) or a NAKSA 100 (100 watt). Assembly takes an evening or two (we know how that goes). The designer/owner Hugh Dean would fit in with us speaker builders. He uses both his technical mind and ears. He pays attention to harmonic distortion structure, and is not a slave to THD. One of these days I will buy the kit and build one.

Comment

• AdelaaR
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by skippyboy
                    This might be the ticket, and is available as DIY as well.
                    The Beast
                    http://www.transcendentsound.com/Tra..._Tube_Amp.html
                    $4499 for a stereo amp? damn.

Comment

• tony_M
                      • Nov 2010

@Winter, I live in US and I believe that aksa located in AUS. hmm too far
                      any input about emotiva?? since tube seems out of price range....

Comment

• tony_M
                        • Nov 2010

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/KT...Pull-Tube-Amp/

Do you know where I can buy this kit???

Comment

• Winter
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by tony_M
                          @Winter, I live in US and I believe that aksa located in AUS. hmm too far
                          any input about emotiva?? since tube seems out of price range....
                          The USA is one of AKSA's largest markets, and frequently ships here, but thats your choice. Hugh is know for his good technical support, and gives suppliers for USA components such as transformers and cases. No input on the Emotiva.

Comment

• Face
                            • Mar 2007

$4499 for a stereo amp? damn.
                            No, for a pair of monoblocks.

IMO, I would look into a tube preamp and solid state amp combo.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2007

Do you know where I can buy this kit???

Try contacting Bruce Heran who designed the Odd Watt amps here:

He offers kits on his site.

There's also this circuit also by Bruce which is almost the same:

The OddWatt 6SL7 SRPP / KT77 SIPP Class-A Ultra Linear DIY Tube Amplifier Project. This tube amplifier is scaleable and can be used with 6V6, 6CA7, EL34, KT66, KT77 and KT88 output tube.

He mentioned that the circuit can output up to 50-60 watts, if it's biased higher using KT-88 tubes. Might ask him about that.
                              John unk:

Comment

• TW1
                                • Jan 2010

These look like decent amp kits ,http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob How much power do you need ,have you contacted the designers for there recomendation.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2007

Originally posted by TW1
                                  These look like decent amp kits ,http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob How much power do you need ,have you contacted the designers for there recomendation.
                                  Yeah, those Dynaco ST-70 based amp kits do look nice, and the price is very reasonable also.
                                  John unk:

Comment

• dsrviola
                                    • Oct 2007

I'll second the "tube preamp + solid state amp" recommendation.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                      If you have something constructive to add to the conversation by all means do so, otherwise let's not waste bandwidth....
                                      FWIW, I agree with the above post.

I used to drive my Nat-P's with a pair of McIntosh MC-30's (what some may think of as "The Holy McIntosh grail") and they sounded, to put it kindly, like crap. I switched to a cheap Rotel, and everything was fine afterwards.

Not to say every speaker will sound bad with a tube amp, but in my experience, it's a mix and match game. Difficult to drive loads have never sounded good through any of my tube amps (MC-30's, MC-40s, a set of Quicksilvers, a vintage GE StereoClassic, a Leak 20 clone, and a DIY based on 6V6's). SS beats them everytime.

I'd definitely go with the tube pre + SS power amp combo. It does add a certain sweetness (colorations? Distortion? Whatever, sounds good to me!) to the sound I do enjoy.
                                      Javier Huerta

Comment

• tony_M
                                        • Nov 2010

last night I search on the ebay, found out a lot of cheap TUBE amp made in China.
                                        Any comments?? I mean is it really good? Pro or cons?

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2007

Can't really say. Could post some links? I think Coconutout bought a Chinese tube amp and said it smelled. But, I doubt that would be the case with all of 'em, or even most of 'em.
                                          John unk:

Comment

• tony_M
                                            • Nov 2010

Can't really say. Could post some links? I think Coconutout bought a Chinese tube amp and said it smelled. But, I doubt that would be the case with all of 'em, or even most of 'em.
                                            Here some of the links

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2007

The Music Angel stuff looks nice and has good performance specs. Has 4 and 8 ohm taps, 60 watts, and distortion is 1% at full output. I'd call that good for a tube amp. I'm guessing it's going to be significantly lower at lower output as is usually the case. I can't comment on sound quality, just looking at the specs, and photo.

Music Angel "XD-800MKIII Black" Integrated Amplifier 2010 New Version

I doubt you'd be happy with the one on Ebay. I think if you want something nice that drives the Statements well, it's probably going to cost at least $500 - $800, if you're going tube.
                                              John unk:

Comment

• Brian Kingsbury
                                                • Sep 2009

I'm not sure what your budget and skill level are but here's one for you:

I heard this back when it was first built and it was simply amazing. The parts wouldn't be cheap and you'd have to source them yourself but I will guarantee it will sound absolutely fantastic. If I wasn't such a hack when it comes to assembling electronics I would have built one for myself long ago.
                                                ;x( We're not worthy! ;x(

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                  • Dec 2010

"the emperor's new amplifier" is a funny name for an amp especially if one knows the old story of "the emperor's new clothes".
                                                  The name in itself makes the quality of the product very questionable

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2007

"the emperor's new amplifier" is a funny name for an amp especially if one knows the old story of "the emperor's new clothes".
                                                    He named it that because the amp sounds "transparent!"
                                                    John unk:

Comment

• Renovator
                                                      • Jan 2010

The name in itself makes the quality of the product very questionable

Reference to transparency and, I suspect, a bit of self deprecating humour regarding the claims he makes - given "It was also an oblique reference to the marketing hype that pollutes high-end audio" Sort of works on many levels.

Maybe not obvious to non-english speaker? (no offence - my travels in Europe generally expose the limitations of us English speakers when compared to the multi-lingual Europeans!) :T

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                                        • Dec 2010

That all sounds nice how he meant it.
                                                        The clothes weren't "transparent" however, they simply did not exist.
                                                        The emperor's new clothes are basicly a scam ... salespeople make something and tell you it has certain qualities ... when in reality they are stealing your money by selling you a bogus product.
                                                        If I make the comparison to an amplifier I would suspect this amplifier to be just an empty box

Comment

• tony_M
                                                          • Nov 2010

The Music Angel stuff looks nice and has good performance specs. Has 4 and 8 ohm taps, 60 watts, and distortion is 1% at full output. I'd call that good for a tube amp. I'm guessing it's going to be significantly lower at lower output as is usually the case. I can't comment on sound quality, just looking at the specs, and photo.

Music Angel "XD-800MKIII Black" Integrated Amplifier 2010 New Version

I doubt you'd be happy with the one on Ebay. I think if you want something nice that drives the Statements well, it's probably going to cost at least $500 - $800, if you're going tube.
                                                          John, personally do you have any experience with Chinese tube amp? I just afraid that shipping and quality issue but I can not resist the lower price

Comment

• Face
                                                            • Mar 2007

I have friends who own "Chi-fi" gear. Some pieces sound very nice, but it's a problem if something arrives damaged or needs a repair down the road. The extra value goes right out the window.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2007

John, personally do you have any experience with Chinese tube amp? I just afraid that shipping and quality issue but I can not resist the lower price
                                                              I don't have experience with it. You might contact the seller and see what their return policy is.

John
                                                              John unk:

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Jun 2006

I bought the APPJ mini tube amp and the Little Dot MKIV tube headphone amp.

The APPJ does exactly what it said it would, with no fuzz whatsoever. Of course, with 1.5W or so, it can't do much

The Little Dot MKIV is a really beautiful piece, but the design runs far too hot. I've cooked at least 6 resistors during normal use. I'd say it's a badly engineered unit.

I'd definitely say caveat emptor, check out reviews online, try to buy from a reputable seller, etc...
                                                                Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"