X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Winter
    • Nov 2007

New Eton 3" Ceramic/Mg Cone Midrange

Eton has released a new 3" midrange with ceramic outer coatings (keronite/crystalline aluminum oxide) & a magnesium core cone. If the Eton supplied distortion curves are accurate, the midrange also has a new low distortion motor.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

• JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Interesting- the impedance curve looks better than I would expect from the stated inductance- my first thought was that there might be inductivity modulation issues with distortion at higher frequencies.

Mounting and enclosure design will be tricky or critical due to the basket design. And sensitivity is on the low side (looks more like 85 dB than the stated 87 dB). I would expect a tonality similar to the TB mid used in the Statements.

Would be interesting in combination with a woofer system with a good top end in the 90 - 91 dB range (before baffle step comp). Would be interesting to see how well damped the upper end is, and what linear distortion behavior looks like up to 4 kHz or so.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bear
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      Interesting- the impedance curve looks better than I would expect from the stated inductance- my first thought was that there might be inductivity modulation issues with distortion at higher frequencies.
      0.94 mH for voice coil inductance looks astronomical for a mid. That's subwoofer territory.
      Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

I'm thinking it's a typo... probably more like .094mh? Interesting driver, though I kinda wish they made a 4 or 5" version too. Maybe that's coming soon.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I think Jed's right- the only reasonable explanation!
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Mark K
            • Feb 2002

If anyone wants to send me a pair-and I can probably get zaph to test it as well (er, maybe...) let me know. I've been a bit disappointed in the etons I've looked at, but that was quite some time ago and these look like some effort went into them.

mark
            www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Good news... I just got an email from my Eton contact and the data sheet is incorrect. The inductance is indeed .1mh. Eton said they will correct it at their website. Not sure if they've done that yet, but they will. They are also investigating larger diameter versions of this driver, but some logistics have held back that project to a later date.

Regards,

Jed

Comment

• Theresa
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Jed
                Good news... I just got an email from my Eton contact and the data sheet is incorrect. The inductance is indeed .1mh. Eton said they will correct it at their website. Not sure if they've done that yet, but they will. They are also investigating larger diameter versions of this driver, but some logistics have held back that project to a later date.

Regards,

Jed
                Its good that they are looking at larger ones as these have such poor power handling. Currently the Symphony 7 Madisound speakers are more than satisfactory for me. The dome is truly extraordinary. I have been thinking of replacing the 7" Eton mid-woofers with ScanSpeak Revelators as that is what my center channel uses. I'm hesitant about this though not only because of cost but also because the Eton Symphony 7s sound so good to me. I use miniDSPs as the crossover for all fronts.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"